Moving to Shetland

beckb

Hello,

My husband,I and our three children are trying to decide if moving to Shetland is for us,we haven't even visited yet but obviously are planning to do that,we are just at the research stage at the moment.Shetland looks a fantastic,wild and unspoilt place,i've seen the glossy magazines and the You Tube videos of the weather and am trying to gey a more balanced view of what its really like most of the time.I've heard about the weather,we plan on visiting in the winter to get the worst of it then it can only get better can't it? I am really interested in jobs in the construction industry,carpentry/joinery for my husband,is this a sought after trade with many job opportunities?What is it like bringing up children on Shetland,the leisure facilities seem excellent,are there many playgroups,youth clubs and community groups for mothers/fathers and children,i would be interested to hear your views on living,working and raising children/growing up on Shetland.Many thanks,Becky

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been born here and lived here most of my life I am probably biased, so here is anexisting discussions on the subject of moving to Shetland on Shetlink.

http://www.shetlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4101

The construction industry here is pretty busy so I would think finding a job shouldn't be a problem.

These are a few of the larger building firms.

http://www.ditt-shetland.co.uk/

http://www.jhbltd.co.uk/

http://www.irvinecontractors.co.uk/

Thanks for your reply MuckleJoannie,thanks for the links to the construction companies,my husband is going to send his CV to them,I have seen the thread you mentioned and the comments made interesting reading,a lot of people seem very positive about the benefits of Shetland but others seem quite negative and also makes me wonder how welcome we would be made :( ,one of the main draws for us is community life a better place to bring up children than the "whatever!" attitude that seems to be all around us "down south" although we are from the midlands and see ourselves as northern rather than southern,but i supppose everyone else is from the south in Shetland :) Is it easy to fit in and would we be made welcome,we want to make friends for ourselves and our children and become part of the community,this would be a life changing move for us so any more advice or thoughts would be welcome,where are the best places to live,to go to school,are there many places to rent while we find our feet?Thanks,Becky

if your willing to adapt to how life is lived up here you will fit in. your kids will have a good time and there education will be one of the best funded and supported there is in the uk. be aware that the exams are scottish so if the kids have started there gcses they will have to start again my daughter was sulky that see had to do catch up of six months. the other thread was more in joke than serious the weather can be bad but it can also be the best in the uk. its just important that you need to relise that its not like the holiday books. its a big change comming up here but its worth it. your husband should easily get work there is loads of building going on up here.

What is it like bringing up children on Shetland,the leisure facilities seem excellent,are there many playgroups,youth clubs and community groups for mothers/fathers and children,i would be interested to hear your views on living,working and raising children/growing up on Shetland.

I think it depends on where you're planning to live. When I lived in Lerwick my door was always open and there was always hoardes of kids coming in and out of the house playing. There were plenty of play-groups, after school clubs and events going on to keep my eldest occupied. After the birth of my second I moved to a rural location and well.... I've been here two years now and there is just one girl who is starting to come around and play. I don't know if it's a distance thing or an "afraid of the new person" thing but it's been quite difficult for my son to adjust to the lack of playmates. Even the playpark in the village remains virtually untouched during the summer months except for the occasional granny with a toddler. Where are all the kids?? I attend the most wonderful parent group put on by the Bruce Family centre and if it weren't for that group my youngest probably wouldn't get much social stimulation, after all, there is nothing else going on in the village really. There is another playgroup I took her to once but none of the parents spoke to each other - they just followed two foot behind their kids around the hall. Even during snack time all the kids sat around this little table with the parents standing behind their kids chairs sipping cups of coffee, nibbling on a biscuit and not speaking a word to each other. It was very uncomfortable and I looked at the clock every five minutes. I only went the once, after all, if I want to be bored, drink coffee and nibble biscuits in silence I can do that at home.

Other than that unless you drive or live somewhere with a decent bus route there isn't much to do social wise where I live. Walk to the shop and annoy the friendly shop assistants is about it.

edit- I forgot to mention: There is a youth club once every two weeks my eldest attends, and one after-school club every two weeks (There is the opportunity to attend another athletic after school club but he's not, um, athletically inclined - he is however, waiting in anticipation for the Chess Club to start) and a fabulous Beavers/Cub Scouts that runs weekly during the school term. Those kids are super-friendly and welcoming. It's the highlight of his week.

if your willing to adapt to how life is lived up here you will fit in.

Paul, what on Earth do you mean by that? I don't like beer and I can't recall the last time I set foot in a pub. Other than that what else is there to do in the country but keep to yourself?

Again, you're right. I am not happy where I am living, but alas I cannot afford to build/buy and since I live in a perfectly adequate council house the council said it would be years and years on a waiting list if I wanted to transfer closer to town. However, the school is fabulous and I don't want to uproot the kids again, so I'm afraid I'm sitting put at least until they've fled the nest. I don't see why I should be insulted for pointing out that yes, there is a sense of social isolation in rural Shetland if you don't keep livestock, have family out here or enjoy a pint or two. It's made even more difficult by the fact that I still can't drive! I have wonderful friends in Shetland that I see frequently, however it is quite expensive for the petrol to drive out and visit regularly. This place is home for me, right now, I just have to find non-social pastimes to keep me from going completely insane.

^^ You're right. I forgot to mention the social allure of drugs and livestock. So, if I don't keep sheep, don't smoke or drink, what else do you suggest?

Well, there's always this "internet" thing the kids are talking about. Mind you, I don't think it's going to catch on.

^^ You're right. I forgot to mention the social allure of drugs and livestock. So, if I don't keep sheep, don't smoke or drink, what else do you suggest?

Well, there's always this "internet" thing the kids are talking about. Mind you, I don't think it's going to catch on.

Oh I rely on my computer far too much! I'd be lost without it, medicated I'm sure at least!