wargaming in shetland

mat49

I am thinking of moving to Shetland and would like to know if there are any wargaming/board gaming clubs or groups? my interests are varied and i have a nice collection of figures and board games.

I also paintball and airsoft which i think will end if i move up :(

I will initally have to leave my family behind and will need to keep my interests going rather than just sat at home playing PS3 or PC online with virtual people!

odd that the job/move comes to second to a board game. i would suggest you think a bit harder about the move/job.

Yeah think long and damn hard because I have to admit Shetland is not the first place I think of on the rare occasion someone brings up wargaming, dungeons and dragons or warhammer even.

I can do the job and i want to move up, but i also enjoy my hobbies. I have no intention of sitting in front of a tv nor sat in a pub during the long winter evenings. home is what you make it but without like minded people to enjoy your past times it could quite easily become a lonely prison.

look at the 'moving to shetland' thread, there are some lonely people in shetland, i dont intend being one of them. i will have to give up many of my interests, which i accept.

Well think that is why people are telling you to think about it, Shetland is an Island with a population of about 23,000 people and it's not known for it's wargaming community. You should probably go up for a look if you haven't done so already and see if you like the look of the place. You are right though you don't want to end up in the pub every night.

^It's just not the same... playing online you don't get massively ripped off for a chunk of tin that costs pennies to make. You then don't have to spend another fortune buying stupendously overpriced tubs of paint only to spend days painting (or ruining in my case) the figure you just spent a fortune buying in the first place :wink:

I will play war hammer if the oppostion are adults, down here its more popular among children and its no fun beating them.

Amen! As an ex Games Workshop employee I can attest to this. It's even worse being beaten *by* them (and their mates) :oops: :wink: