BT Vision

Marvin

Anybody using BT Vision?

Is there any point in getting it if you can't get freeview?

Details of exactly which programmes you can watch is pretty sketchy.

I like the concept of being able to watch whatever you want, whenever you want but without the freeview element I'm not sure if its worth it.

I'm only looking in to it because I'm fed up having to move my sky dish after every gale....

Cheers

Marvin

I, um, sort of have it. BT phoned me up and some woman in an English accent I couldn't understand said some really appealing things (I think) about it and sold me the entire kitten kaboodle for £30 (since I was an extra-special BT customer and all). I got it, tried to hook it up to my (then) sattelite dish, which is when I found out it requires some fancy digital aerial thingy-ma-jig. So it all got put back in the box and stuck in the cupboard, I gave my sattelite dish away and sent the television to the scrapstore.

Your BT Vision V-box connects to your existing TV aerial to get the Freeview channels. At the same time the V-box connects to your BT Broadband line via the BT Home Hub to access the On Demand films, programmes and music.

I guess from what Khit says they mean a "digital Aerial" so if you can't get freeview all you'll get is the on demand stuff....(which comes from your BB connection)

If I were you I'd just try secureing the skydish so it won't move in gales ;)

http://www.indiamart.com/aishatransmission/pcat-gifs/products-small/turn-buckle.jpg

a

friend of mine used turnbuckles like these to stop his moving in da gales.

I have had BT vision for about a year now, I got it when it first came out.

I have never had any streaming problems, but that's mainly due to the fact the Home Hub gives a bigger percentage of the bandwidth to the BT vision box over your computer for example (worth noting there is no noticeable dip in your computer's internet speed when used together).

There is a huge selection of popular TV programs, loads of pretty recent films (as good if not better than SKY box office).

:idea: One thing to mention is that you have to pay extra for SPORT (Setanta), and films are strictly pay per view.

I took out a subscription (£14 p/m) which includes all TV, MUSIC, KIDS DOCUMENTARIES, etc. etc. it works out cheaper for me rather than pay per view. It is cheaper than Sky and you're not paying for 999 channels of rubbish. There is no contract for a subscription meaning it can be cancelled at any time reverting back to pay per view at no additional cost.

The main reason I like BT Vision is you watch what you want when you want - If you suddenly get an urge to watch LOST series 2 episode 4, you can!

I don't know what it costs now to setup, but when I did I think it was £30.

Oh yeah nearly forgot - The BT Vision Box is also a digital free-view recorder thingy, just like sky plus, wahey!

Hope that helps! :D

Same as me Khit, I got phoned and every time I told the lady I didn't want BT Vision she reduced the price.. so I'm getting it for £30 and getting the kids stuff for free.

As I said, the idea of it is fine but I would rather have BT Vision or Sky, not both. If BT Vision can deliver Pokemon and Spongebob then I have little need for Sky... but I do like having the basic free channels on Sky rather than analogue...I guess I could just switch to freesat... Its a trial anyway and I can return the BT Vision so I'll see how it works.

McDilly, is there current content such as news on BT Vision?

MARVIN - Sorry just noticed, can you not get freeview?

If not I would seriously consider either not getting it, or better using it along with free sat or something? :D

We can't get Freeview, and although BT Vision's content is really good, its a pain having to watch analogue channels... I understand completely what you mean about current media like the news... :shock:

There is various bits of software available that let you watch live TV broadcasts.

Zattoo has BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4, Channel 5, BBC3, BBC4, BBC News, along with a few others. It also lets you watch BBC1 and 2 Scotland and STV.

Livestation doesn't have the BBC TV channels but it does have the radio channels as well as ITV1, 2, 3 and 4 and the Discovery channel.

Then of course there is Joost, BBC iPlayer etc...