Dodgy Song Lyrics

Njugle

[***mod edit - split from Room 101 ***]

Dodgy song lyrics...in fact this might even warrant it's own thread, with endless post by me alone!

What I mean is songs with lyrics that are either nonsense*, irritating, ill-considered or thinly veiled innuendo, particularly when in teeny pop songs that get sung by teeny boppers.

What's provoked me with this today is hearing again that all-too-famous Leona Lewis song in passing:

"You cut me open and I keep bleeding love"

WTF? Who is this aimed at, a surgeon? Is it the theme to a horror movie? Hardcore S&M?

I mean the girl can hold a tune alright and she's none too shabby on the eye, but that song makes me think she's a twatt. Not her choice perhaps, but she sang it and put here heart and soul into it. Deeply disturbing. :?

edit - *excepting those who take it to extreme like Enya or the Cocteau Twins, if you're going to do 'mouth music' that's fair enough.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^They don't come much dodgier or irritating than this (go on... play it to the very end):

[sEEQPOD]http://www.seeqpod.com/music/?plid=add06f5763[/sEEQPOD]

"Ahhh-ring-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-dingdingding-ding" means what, exactly? "Please go fetch a shotgun and splatter my brains to kingdom come" obviously :wink:

We're all in luck according to The Register:

News Corp is killing Crazy Frog, along with the brands Jamba and Jamster.

...After the Crazy Frog ads were shown 40,000 times during a single month on British television...

40,000 times!? In one month???! :roll: :roll: :twisted: :roll:

Song Lyrics - I'm back once again like a... well something or other;

This time:

"Your sex is on fire"

Now, the act of love making can in may ways be described as hot but "on fire"? And what's more the guy singing it doesn't sound too happy about it.

Which leaves me with:

"Your sex, burns a lot and I'm not very happy about it"

Whuh? :?

Dodgy song lyrics...in fact this might even warrant it's own thread, with endless post by me alone!

What I mean is songs with lyrics that are either nonsense*, irritating, ill-considered or thinly veiled innuendo, particularly when in teeny pop songs that get sung by teeny boppers.

You mean like this?

Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,

So tell me what you want, what you really really want,

I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,

So tell me what you want, what you really really want,

I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna really

really really wanna zigazig ha.

:x

See, I don't mind that so much, no subtlety, the height of excellence being Gabriel's "Sledgehammer": "Open up your fruitcage" etc :oops: Eyh? In the charts?!:shock: It's lik something da Auld Een would write.:wink:

It's the 'butter wouldn't melt' innocent stuff that bugs me. (Can't think of an example just now due to D&B in headphones and it would be ridiculous for me to stop my current enjoyment to think of tunes I hate. I'm still trying to get over the "Sex on fire thing". :wink:

Oh yeah, despite the wonderful musical landscape filling my ears the name Missy Elliot has filtered through. When I heard a friend's peerie lass singing along to one of here more questionable chart tunes I was driven prude-ward.

It'll no doubt come back to me later.

^^^ :lol:

The song 'Turning Japanese' is supposed to be dodgy too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turning_Japanese

Oh, and also - Sandi Thom and that f***ing punk rocker song - what a load of sharn, honestly! I know a number of punk / goth type people and not one of them wore flowers in their hair. She hasn't a fecking clue! :x

Oh - and an example of dodginess doesn't get any better than this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4CIUkmERKA4

^^ She's a tad mixed up, poor lass, flowers in the hair was the sixties hippies with their, "peace and love man" whatever. :lol: Not sure what revolution she believes was in the air in '69 either, the hippies were still ruling back then, and by '77 revolution was the last thing on the menu, it was anarchy!! She'd best not argue with me either, I was around and remember this....Yes, I am that old, dammit! :oops:

Ill considered....how about "baby, hit me one more time".....Child abuse, domestic violence anyone?!?!?

I think the "Ick" factor came from the fact it was a teeny bopper female singing it....

Then there's the surreal:

"Battleships confide in me and tell me where you are"

and

"Shining flying purple wolfhounds show me where you are"

Courtesy of The Yes Album by Yes.

[seeqpod]http://www.seeqpod.com/music/?plid=aa2a72abcb[/seeqpod]

How do you get the seeqpod player instead of just the link?

(*** Mod - Done using [seeqpod] tags ***)

Maintaining the lyrical vein, lame double entendres (Perhaps there is room for another thread here Njugle).

"Bellamy Brothers--If I said you had a beautiful body would you hold it against me?"

Noo whaur's da cringin' smiley?

Hot Chocolate - When you're in love with a beautiful woman, it's h... ;)