Ancestors

smaadrink

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^

I doubt that a few shetlander/ soothmoother comments on Shetlink has made someone deregister. It could perhaps be that their derogatory comments regarding locals have been picked up by the neighbours and life has become difficult. Past posts (made in July) comment on 'being gossiped about' and subsequent ones relate to being unhappy with where they live.

I for one enjoy a good debate, and also like it when posts become lively - if I find something not to my taste, I just don't look at it.

The Shetlander/Soothmoother debate has long been discussed in Shetland - years before the internet and forums arrived. People need to take it for what it is - a bit of lighthearted banter.

After all - look at how many Shetlanders are married to Soothmoothers...Myself included.

you mean you could not find a tall blonde shetlander. i have heard that a lot of shetland women prefer mainland british spouses to shetlanders because they are not so drunk. i find this comment shocking can it be true that the women are not thrilled by cross dressing vikings. again this is not my view so please dont burn me at the next fire festival.

judging people because of where they come from is so 1900's

time to move on and realise people are the same no matter where they are from. you get squeeky clean poop tube from shetland just like you get pilticks from Orkney just as you get pilticks from timbuktu .

Yes!! i beat the swearing filter yes!!! thats made my day. :P

you mean you could not find a tall blonde shetlander. i have heard that a lot of shetland women prefer mainland british spouses to shetlanders because they are not so drunk. i find this comment shocking can it be true that the women are not thrilled by cross dressing vikings. again this is not my view so please dont burn me at the next fire festival.

You do realise the next fire festival is Guy Fawkes night - where it is traditional to burn a dummy :lol:

yep :lol:

by the way why do scots do bonfire night blowing up the english goverment would have been good for scotland would it not. always thought it was very cruel burning poor old guy every year when it was others that were the leaders. why not Catesby night, after all any one stupid enough to want to stand next to a few tuns of gun powder must have been stupid.

It is also perhaps worth mentioning that if you can trace a long way back the individuals tend to be fairly dodgy characters (lairds, ministers etc).

Or Picts.

All of mine that can be traced as having been here since before records began, including a branch suspected to possibly be of Pict descent.

In all probability some family lines, due to the surnames involved were originally German, Norse via Normandy via England via Scotland etc, but their arrival here preceded the records, so their blood has been well thinned out by "true" Shetland blood in the several centuries since. :twisted: :wink: :lol:

yep :lol:

by the way why do scots do bonfire night blowing up the english goverment would have been good for scotland would it not. always thought it was very cruel burning poor old guy every year when it was others that were the leaders. why not Catesby night, after all any one stupid enough to want to stand next to a few tuns of gun powder must have been stupid.

I could never get in to Guy Fawkes as a kid, never saw the relevance of it for us up here. Besides, I think he sould have been hailed as a hero. :wink:

Halloween on the other hand, ahem....kail anyone?!? :mrgreen:

I was astounded at the reaction I got, I was told Shetlink was just 'Sooth Moothers Tom Tom Drums'.

Perhaps the Shetlink logo should be changed to fit in with some peoples perception of the site.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t113/oollit/shetlink-logo2.jpg

I have 500 year old ancestors in Shetland grave yards but my old fella is from the North East of Scotland so where do i fit in?

Perhaps we could use the same system that is used in football to decide who can regard themselves as good Shetland stock, if one of your Grannies didn't come from Shetland then you have to pick another team.

so you must be your brothers uncles sister with all the inbreeding. over a million ancestors but only a few thousand folks on the island. no wonder they could find norse blood in the shetland gene pool.

Nah, my grandparents weren't related to each other, as far as can be traced in over 300 years of records. Them having married actually thinned out any inbreeding on their respective sides, but it also means that there are very, very few within a 10-15 mile radius of where I grew up, plus a significant percentage elsewhere in Shetland, that I'm not related to to some degree.

End of the line time I think.

I doubt that a few shetlander/ soothmoother comments on Shetlink has made someone deregister. It could perhaps be that their derogatory comments regarding locals have been picked up by the neighbours and life has become difficult. Past posts (made in July) comment on 'being gossiped about' and subsequent ones relate to being unhappy with where they live.

I've tried not to reply to this but I'm stomping about the house quite upset mulling it over. (And before anyone comments on it i DID ask to be deregistered but an oh-so-kind moderator talked me out of it. I'm just going to lay low for a bit.) Firstly, I'd like to defend my neighbours who have never, ever done anything to make my life difficult. I like every single one of them, they're very kind, lovely people and will always offer a hand to help if they are asked. As for past posts in July.. this "being gossiped about" statement.... I've gone and had a look and all I could find was a comment from the Anne of Green Gables book, which I was reminded of by Ghostriders comment on protecting people from gossip-mongers. Hardly fodder for a sustained neighbourly attack! I am unhappy with where I live because I am bored! I can't drive so I can't get out of the village and there is very, very little to do here! Yes, I mentioned lack of community spirit, but as other posters will attest, I am not imagining it. This does not make each individual in the community a bad person, in fact I have not met a single one I didn't like. Having a drink does not make a person bad, nor does anything else I may have complained about. To each their own! (Something that I tried to explain in subsequent posts after a post or two was misconstrued as being derogatory to locals).

I was very hurt this morning reading the anti-soothmoother comments - something I have, until very recently, denyed existed in Shetland. I never once heard to my face such things and could never understand why others spoke of it. It has only been in the Shetlink forum that I have learned about this underlying opinion of some. I felt that as a soothmoother I shouldn't have the right to post in here, or even occupy a house that should be given over to someone whose ancestry can be traced back to the 1600s.

Now.... as I am nearing the end of my second trimester I shall give this forum a bit of space before I get any more upset or say anything else stupid! Oh... and I did start deleting my posts this morning simply because I wanted to remove my presence from here. Not for any other reason.

Good day!