Ancestors

smaadrink

"It's just the gossip that you have to learn how to deal with and once you get it into your head that if they're talking about you they are leaving someone else alone, it makes it easier."

This was 2 days before the Anne of Green Gables quote.

I recalled you mentioning being talked about and checked your posts to ensure I did not misrepresent what you had written.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a soothmoother is a body we a non shetlun accent, i.e someone fae mainland UK, how many of you have non shetland accents? If you grow up here you will have the accent, by definition you are a shetlander. we should have a poll.

PS less of the inbred crap, the english upper class is heavily inbread yet the most powerful and wealthy, mongrels are mongrels :lol:

"It's just the gossip that you have to learn how to deal with and once you get it into your head that if they're talking about you they are leaving someone else alone, it makes it easier."

This was 2 days before the Anne of Green Gables quote.

I recalled you mentioning being talked about and checked your posts to ensure I did not misrepresent what you had written.

Oh.. THAT.. I remember why I would have said that now... because that was the advice I gave to my dear friend (in another village) who had been the brunt of some quite malicious gossip. It's unlikely anybody'd be speaking about me... I'm dull.

^^ Just remember that the most malicious and spiteful gossip is reserved for those Shetlanders who've been here for generations, when they talk about other Shetlanders who've been here as long. Put simply, they know exactly what shenanigans you great-great whatever, or your fourth cousin twice removed etc got up to, and will not hesitate to tar you with the same brush, and/or "remind" you of it should your circumstances appear in any way connected.

Incomers have the benefit that it can only be that in which they have themselves played a part since arriving here, that can ever be dredged up as gossip. In most cases such things have the jungle drums running hot at the time, but its soon forgotten. Unlike "old" gossip, which has become so entrenched over the decades by telling and retelling that someone is sure to keep dragging it back up, and with several generations having been born since the original occurance, there are so many people now that it can be applied to to help remind them.

I can trace both sides of my family in unst back to around 1700, now if that dose not make me a true Shetlander than i dont know what will.

To be honest I believe that it only goes to show that there has to be a tiny bit of inceat in there somewhere, same with must of us "pure breeds" :lol: :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Strangely, this thread could be a great help to reducing the percieved soothmoother/shetlander barrier. (lower case used deliberately before the grammar Queens have a go at me :wink: )

I think it would be almost impossible to find anybody in Shetland who doesn't have some genetic influence from England, Scotland, Norway, or almost any country on the planet.

Perhaps the Mods could add a little to their Swear Filter so that every time somebody uses the words Shetlander, or Soothmoother, it automatically becomes Shetlinker :wink:

Having said that, I still believe that the use of the word Soothmoother is not offensive, and would hate to think that I have ever used that word in any way that wasn't intended in good humour. Because, generally speaking, Soothmoothers are more amiable than most Shetlanders. And Soothmoothers do more to look after the natural environemnt of Shetland than the get rich quick locals do. (Ducking for cover before a windmill blade hits me again. :wink: )

A possibly interesting aspect of rivalry/discord/humour between nations/neighbours is evident here in Norway. They openly advertise on TV, ringtones for your mobile which say "Shut Up Swede", and I guess the Swedish do the same, but nobody takes offense.

Although if they ever come with one which says "Shut up Viking", I will take offense. As 'Sods Law for Shetlanders' dictates that I have more Viking blood in me than most Norwegians. :wink:

Guest Anonymous
It's unlikely anybody'd be speaking about me...

That will change on the 18th February.. :wink: You know what people are like when a new baby arrives.... Best gossip in the district. :lol:

And, assuming the baby arrives on schedule, the only thing anybody will be saying 'to you' that day will be: PUSH PUSH PUSH :wink:

Last night I was at a meeting and mentioned Shetlink might be a good way of getting a bit of publicity for our project.

I was astounded at the reaction I got, I was told Shetlink was just 'Sooth Moothers Tom Tom Drums'.

This has got me thinking, how many people on here have their ancestors from the sixteenth century lying in a Shetland graveyard.

I have.

I've gone back over the original post that started this thread after reading through all the replies it generated with increasing disbelief.

I don't know Smaadrink and haven't read their previous contributions to gauge what sort of poster they are, but I really don't see where offence was intended in this post.

Smaadrink says they were "astounded" at hearing a negative reaction about Shetlink. They go on to ask a question that, to me, sounds as if they're purposefully exagerrating the qualifications for classing oneself as a Shetlander.

Some of the replies on the thread are nothing but trolling - it's as if some people want to be called a Soothmoother, take terrible offence at it and use it as a stick to beat others with.

I try not to judge people on where they come from (or don't come from). Shetlander is how I choose to identify myself and I don't care if you call yourself a Brit or a Brummie or a Burraman. Racism and all its nasty little subforms almost always have their roots in ignorance. Soothmoother isn't an offensive word - it's only how it's used that can make it offensive.

I don't fulfill the stringent, if tongue in cheek, qualifications that Smaadrink has given but I'm still a Shetlander because I want to be - and nobody can take that away from me.

So, welcome all, it's a great place. Have a look round and enjoy it, maybe try and be nice to one another too, eh?

Guest Anonymous

The only time I can ever remember Kail castin causing a problem was wehn certain horrible individuals, who shall remain nameless as I think one of them posts on this forum, went into a kail yard, found the biggest kail heart they could, and chucked it through a door.

The recipients were delighted and had a great feed of kail the next day.

But, the person who owned the kail heart, and intended to exhibit it at the local church "Sale of Work" in the Boddam Hall the next night wasn't quite so extatic... :lol:

Anybody here like to own up to that terrible misdemeanor??? :lol: