Earth Sheltered Housing

Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

ok lets lay off nigel if he was planning on moving up here we have scared him off.

the topic is moving to shetland. ive always thought its a shame that the old croft house could not be used for more than chickens or as a store. there must be some that can be used and extended to fit modern standards. yes i know its cheaper to build new they just dont look the same.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok lets lay off nigel if he was planning on moving up here we have scared him off.

the topic is moving to shetland. ive always thought its a shame that the old croft house could not be used for more than chickens or as a store. there must be some that can be used and extended to fit modern standards. yes i know its cheaper to build new they just dont look the same.

i think the main problem is as you have said it is cheaper to build new and the fact thet old croft houses are well small to say the least, i believe that there are grants you can get through the crofters commision to rebuild old croft houses but you also have a lot of things you have to do and i believe you cannot sell the house on as it tied to you, personally i would love to see old houses restored to former glory but alas the difference in price for a similar sized new build is quite substancial and in the current economic climate cost is the biggest factor regarding buying/building a house

> the same or would they be all different?

Roughly the same, whilst there would be different sizes from single person dwellings to family units, they'd mostly be the same design. (Looking at dome shape.)

But as they would be underground earth sheltered, you wouldn't be seeing much of them apart from the windows/doors, and if the doors are covered in fake rock/etc. you might not even see them!

I'm very much not a fan of much modern architecture, it looks awful, and functionality wise, it sucks too.

> you will want to do it as cheap

> as possible

I'd prefer to build quality over price. (Plus ease of maintence, design it for when it goes wrong, not if!)

> are you going to do it out of your

> own pocket then rent/sell them to

> the council/hha????

Yes own pocket, rent only. Selling them would only lead later on to the price of housing to rise. (Hence eventually I'd want them owned by some community group so in the event of my death, everything can carry on as before and they are not sold off.)

> all in one massive clump or spreading

> them out???

I'm not sure on that yet, probably a clump, but I don't want an overcrowded clump.

> also whats the expected timsescale on

> this project?

My current estimate is around 20 years to build some 15,000 homes.

> to visit Shetland

Thats on our todo list for next years holiday, this year we went to Devon.

> think about what kind of business ideas

> might actually work and be useful here,

Agreed, I have been making a little note of suggestions people have mentioned elsewhere, and would be more than interested to hear of others. (Though I would like to try and avoid trending on toes of existing businesses.) The reason to start with teleworking is it would allow easy relocation of people if need be, but I'd be keen to branch out into other businesses, not just stick with hitech stuff. (A machine shop would be nice..)

> There are lots of places in Britain

> where building a new town would be

> more realistic and useful than it

> would here.

I'd be most interested to hear where, so far from wandering around the country, virtually everywhere else doesn't want any building of new homes, or businesses, or even planting of woodland! (Even at the end of my road where they plan to build some 3,000 new homes, the local homeowners got it reduced to 2,000 new homes so as to help prevent congestion..)

> Your ideas sound, frankly, silly

All opinions are welcomed :-)

I must try and be less silly.. but one also has to entertain, but I am told often to be more serious, but where is the fun and excitment in that! I've an enthusiastic youthful outlook to life, which others often remark can be infectious. If that comes over as silly, well never mind, I'm sure what really interests people is the bottom line, if I can produce low cost housing and jobs, no one will care about silly old me :-)

> one finds it posible to learn how to

> do qoutes properly.

:-)

I choose not to, otherwise my head would be full of trivia, rather than figuring out how to save the planet..

> have never been past the Watford Gap

I've lived around the UK, up north, down south, left a bit, right a bit.

> rather than line some radom

> bloke's pockets.

I can understand the concern, but I want to bring wealth to the Islands, not take it away for myself, I want to reinvest in my neighbourhood, make not just my life better but those around me.

No hiding behind a PR company for me, if anyones got a question, just ask :-)

> second smartest person in the world

Nah, a friend of mine (A civil engineer, once at the beach we built a nice dam rather than a dull sandcastle..) she has a 210 IQ.

The most important thing I know is how limited I am and what little I know, and that working cooperatively with others is the best way to improve everyones life.

> intend to get approx 50% of the population

> of Shetland to move to your new town or

> do you intend shipping up 10,000 people

> from the mainland

A good question! I don't really know how popular my housing solution will be with the locals, or how many would want to work, or train for the jobs on offer. I would certainly want to give preference to someone here before importing anyone from the mainland. (Which is why elsewhere I was interested to hear what would be a sensible sustainable population level for various parts of the Islands and why, as I wouldn't want to ruin the place.)

> where are they supposed to work?

I'd want to create businesses to go along with the housing, don't want to create just yet another housing estate with no thought given to jobs.

> Where are you going to place your

> sewerage plant your power station

> your hospital your schools etc etc.

I don't know, but I'd want to chat with local people about suitable locations so as to make everyone happy.

> Sounds like the perfect utopia

Maybe, but you've got to try haven't you, its either that or let the council/government have a go at it, and they never seem to do a very good job..

> second smartest person in the world

Nah, a friend of mine (A civil engineer, once at the beach we built a nice dam rather than a dull sandcastle..) she has a 210 IQ.

Like I said... second smartest. :roll:

In all seriousness though, Nigel, this old-school quoting is unhelpful because you're not saying who made the point you respond to. When in Rome, etc; conventions are there for a reason.

Imagine if we all drove whichever side of the road we pleased because it was too troublesome to adjust. When you move somewhere you should expect to adjust to the local way - not force your preferences upon others. Arriving in Shetland with a 'pfft! I am too smart for your conventions' attitude might work out badly for you.

The smartest people I know are mentally agile, not set in their ways.

In all seriousness though, Nigel, this old-school quoting is unhelpful

> because you're not saying who made the point you respond to.

If people cannot remember who said something a moment ago, they need to pay more attention!

Plus, its not necessarly important who said it, but what was said..

> When you move somewhere you should expect to adjust to the local

> way - not force your preferences upon others. Arriving in Shetland with

> a 'pfft! I am too smart for your conventions' attitude might work out

> badly for you.

Perhaps, you can please some of the people some of the time, but not all the people all of the time.

> The smartest people I know are mentally agile, not set in their ways.

The smartest people I know tend to go for effiency because life is too short to waste time on the little details, as such this can make them socially awkward to deal with at times, but there is no doubting their brilliance to solve problems for the rest of us.

The best solution here is to replace the forum software with one with threading, then everyone can see who is replying to whose message more easily, to move forward with progress software, rather than to stick a band aid on something existing.

If people do not like the way I talk, they are free not to listen or read, I leave it up to everyoen to decide whether they love me or hate me :-)

(This is the essence to talking with people, you get to know me, far better to know me now and tell me you don't want me to move there than for me to move here and then annoy you all with my attitude.. perhaps there is a nice unpopulated island you can direct me to.. ;-) )

In all seriousness though, Nigel, this old-school quoting is unhelpful

> because you're not saying who made the point you respond to.

If people cannot remember who said something a moment ago, they need to pay more attention!

Or you could make an effort to use the quotation system as these boards move mighty fast and what you said yesterday can and will be forgotten with the 20 or so posts that come after it.

Plus, its not necessarly important who said it, but what was said..

Unfortunately who says it does mean a lot to people. The idea may be a good one but if the credibility of the person saying it is in doubt then the idea may be based on nothing but hot air and pipe dreams.

> When you move somewhere you should expect to adjust to the local

> way - not force your preferences upon others. Arriving in Shetland with

> a 'pfft! I am too smart for your conventions' attitude might work out

> badly for you.

Perhaps, you can please some of the people some of the time, but not all the people all of the time.

Fjool is right it will work out badly for you. I'm assuming you read a lot of the posts on this thread and a lot of the natives do not like people coming in with radical ideas on how to change the island, if an air of arrogance is to come with it then that persons time on the island could become very strained.

> The smartest people I know are mentally agile, not set in their ways.

The smartest people I know tend to go for effiency because life is too short to waste time on the little details, as such this can make them socially awkward to deal with at times, but there is no doubting their brilliance to solve problems for the rest of us.

The best solution here is to replace the forum software with one with threading, then everyone can see who is replying to whose message more easily, to move forward with progress software, rather than to stick a band aid on something existing.

If people do not like the way I talk, they are free not to listen or read, I leave it up to everyoen to decide whether they love me or hate me :-)

(This is the essence to talking with people, you get to know me, far better to know me now and tell me you don't want me to move there than for me to move here and then annoy you all with my attitude.. perhaps there is a nice unpopulated island you can direct me to.. ;-) )

Although you have a lot of noble intentions with your ideas and suggestions you are at times off hand and dismissive of responses you get. The I.Q remark did smack of someone who didn't want to come up with an answer then decided to quote his I.Q to make the person he was responding to seem inadequate. Personally I'm with fjool I doubt you and your mate have I.Q's above 200 unless you are using a grading system noboldy else does and if anything it makes your posts since seem a little condescending to the other users, particularly your refusal to fit in with the boards conventions.

I do like to read some of your ideas and thoughts but I can do without the arrogance Nigel it will make you disliked very quickly and why muddy waters before you even visit the island.

> The idea may be a good one but if the credibility of the person

> saying it is in doubt

So we only take notice of ideas from respected people ?

Whilst I can understand that what some people say is relevant to who they are, often ideas and solutions can come from anyone, and it shouldn't really be important who at times. (Though I think its necessary to give credit where credit is due.)

> I'm assuming you read a lot of the posts on this thread and a lot of

> the natives do not like people coming in with radical ideas on how

> to change the island

I have, and is why I'm engaging to find out what ideas would be welcomed and which would not. (It might not for example be myself that impliments them, someone else might take the ball and run with it.)

> you are at times off hand and dismissive of responses you get

I can only try harder, and it is helpful when people tell me so, so I'm aware of it and can try and change a little.

Communication is very much the key, we all need to talk with each other more.

> The I.Q remark did smack of someone who didn't want to come

> up with an answer

I always try and answer every point if possible, and not one to shy away from anything. I know it might seem like that mentioning ye olde IQ, but I was responding to a post where someone thought I did little more than just chat online all day, rather than go into an endless long list of what I can do, I thought to shorten it to something simple which whilst it might annoy some British folk who are not keen on smart people, it puts the message across that I could be another Alan Sugar or Richard Branson and I'm not here to waste my time, but to be productive in my efforts to action change for people in my own country, not just myself.

> I can do without the arrogance

Sometimes, its just not possible to be less so.

I know many great people who have what some discribe as arrogance, they might not make ideal neighbours, but they get the job done. (So just make sure I'm safely tucked away in my bunker someplace far from you and we'll get on fine.)

Its one of the reasons we are in the mess we are in right now, everyones too afraid not to upset someone else by speaking their mind, or telling people they are wrong and there is a better way to do things.

> forvik.com

Interests me, more so to see that Stuart Hill could probably benefit from engaging in debate with people here (Though I can imagine he'd say it is a waste of time, which is often the answer I get from talking with people I know who just do their own thing and don't really care whether anyone approves or not.) and whilst I'm sure some of us wouldn't like him, both parties may benefit. He would learn a thing or two, and we would likewise, maybe one day we will see him here.

I had a quick look at the website Nigel linked to (and of which he is a 'Sequence Director' under the name Nanos.) I came upon this gem...

This project aims to build a network of experimental communities to test the idea of technocracy. The proto-Technate could also form the foundation for an alternative for Europe.

http://en.technocracynet.eu/index.php?option=com_groupjive&task=member_list&groupid=26&Itemid=141

While in a democracy any individual recognized as an unconvicted citizen is allowed to vote or run for office, in a technocratic democracy registration for office might be limited to only those who hold the "proper credentials" or meet a minimum intelligence quota.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/technocrat

Perhaps this is why Nigel was at pains to point out his magnificent IQ.

I always try and answer every point if possible, and not one to shy away from anything. I know it might seem like that mentioning ye olde IQ, but I was responding to a post where someone thought I did little more than just chat online all day, rather than go into an endless long list of what I can do, I thought to shorten it to something simple which whilst it might annoy some British folk who are not keen on smart people, it puts the message across that I could be another Alan Sugar or Richard Branson and I'm not here to waste my time, but to be productive in my efforts to action change for people in my own country, not just myself.

When is your operation Nigel? I only assume you are having one as you must need a glass plate fitted in your stomach in order for you to see?!?

You are coming across as extremely condesending, and how you can not just use the quoting system on these boards is beyond me.

> forvik.com

Interests me, more so to see that Stuart Hill could probably benefit from engaging in debate with people here (Though I can imagine he'd say it is a waste of time, which is often the answer I get from talking with people I know who just do their own thing and don't really care whether anyone approves or not.) and whilst I'm sure some of us wouldn't like him, both parties may benefit. He would learn a thing or two, and we would likewise, maybe one day we will see him here.

The more of your comments I read, the more you remind me of Mr Hill, trying to preach to the rest of us that your way is much better than ours, and that we should change!

I could be another Alan Sugar or Richard Branson

This comment, reinforced by many of your others, gives me the impression that you see yourself as some kind of misunderstood genius. Professionally I encounter such "I could be..." people all the time, and when I do I just wait for the inevitable post-modern cliches. Top of the list is their self-justification on the basis that various maverick historical inventors were considered idiots until they were ultimately successful. The justification seemingly being that because the individual is currently doubted, they will be QED a future successful genius. Typical Dragons Den applicants fit this role very well. I think such arguments are sharn.

Shetland society is pretty imune to people who hype themselves up. Attitudes tend to form on the basis of what people have actually done (both effectively and ineffectively) rather than on what they say they will do.

I know many great people who have what some discribe as arrogance, ... but they get the job done.

And there are many others who could have achieved much more if they had managed to be more humble.

I can only try harder,

I would have thought that the obvious way to have done so would have been to change your quoting style. Token perhaps but you didn't make any effort there. That basically says to me that you will try harder but only if you agree. Not very hard to do.