Earth Sheltered Housing

Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ No, of cause I can't be 100% sure.

I just assumed that Nigel Jarman + IT + London would come with 1 result only. And it did.

Of cause now I started this, I have to make sure, I am not bothering an innocent respectable citizen.

Seems to me, best way of getting to know for sure is to email the guy in NJT Computing Ltd.

IF the link is going to work. As I told, the company was dissolved in August.

I'll be back when and if I get an answer. OK?

the solutioin to this is have no joints, pour the whole outer skin in one go, then there are no points for failure

Umm, thot u were a builder? don't you need expansion joints in a mass concrete pour?

Expansion joints are generally a damn good idea and you might struggle to get a structural engineer to sign off a design without any joints formed.

Oh, by the way, EM - you look good if you resemble the photo on your link..... :wink: But I admit the Nigel Jarman avatar has a bit more hair :D

Nothing wrong with that. We all want to look better than we really do. Also we are MUCH better at solving other peoples problems than our own. It is all very human...... :lol:

if that is nigels comany this one shares the same phone number

http://www.catch4.co.uk/index.html

but i dont see why it matters if he folded a company or not. plus having a less abundance of hair than you once did will happen to most of us male posters or has done.:oops:

Well, it matters to me if this guy is making castles in the air or he is a genius that will bring prosperity to the Islands.

It seems to me that if he can't make the business profitable that he is going to finance his plans with, then it all is most likely castles in the air.

But then again, I can't be 100% sure I have company info on the right Nigel Jarman. I am still waiting for an email answer.

Perhaps I have misunderstood this thread, perhaps it is just a chat about theoretic building technics?????

no i agree i dont think it will happen seeing he as never been up here let alone fetlar it wouldbe good if a company or wealthy person wanted to build on the island its a nice community.

:) Indeed, it is a VERY nice community but with some specific problems.

I just like things to be straight. I find it unfair if Nigel Jarman put hope in people and all he is after is some idle chat about construction.

I am NOT starting a witch hunt but as I said - let us get things straight. I am not the only person who has been in doubt whether Nigel is serious or not. Best of all would be if Nigel himself made some sort of answer. Please do, Nigel!

I pop out to pick up some shopping and your all chattering away :-)

Alas I'm not NJT Computing Ltd, but quite happy for anyone to dig around about me, some ever helpful clues to aid that:

Search web for Nanos (I've also started using Zanos lately, as nanos brings up far too many nano this and nano that, its not like the old days..)

Also, if you search google groups for oh say 'Nigel Jarman' your also spot me here or there, I tended to use a cix.co.uk or complink.co.uk email addresses there.

Pictures of me here:

http://www.nanos.org.uk/me/pictures/pictures.htm

Not to be confused with this Nanos :-)

http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2005/509/1

(Oh you should have seen the fuss the last time people thought I was someone else!)

This is also me:

ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/magazines/TheGamesMachine/Issue12/Pages/TheGamesMachine1200092.jpg

(Incidently, being in 2,000 forums, I sometimes take a while to revisit ones, a PBM one for example, I think I took 10 years between comments once, so I don't respond within an hour or two here, its because I really am busy elsewhere, but I haven't vanished!)

As for expansion joints, I do hear they are a good idea, and I wonder about them in domes. I wonder that if the tempreature is kept constant, then you won't get any cracks. (I've heard of domes which have cracked when the sun hit them, and others built under cover to maybe try and avoid this issue.) So I'm all ears to hear whether joints are a good or bad thing and why, as the design is in the early stages its better to change things now than later on half way through building!

So far my look at Fetlar shows that it might support an additional 20 people based on figures about the sewage system there, not that I might necessarly use it, I'd have a go with my own system. But its probably best to start off not being afraid to use local services (eg. ADSL.) and to think later on in the next building group/phase (Not necessarly on Fetlar, but its a nice starting point with its ultra low crime.) to push the envelope a little more each time.

Mr Hills efforts are interesting to watch, but I wouldn't want to risk building there at this time, I am after all, looking to find a spot with the least amount of problems :-)

Whilst I don't have a million in my back pocket as we speak, the plan is to one day, or at the very least, enough to build our own home. Castles in the sky, maybe, but I'm going to try hard to make them a reality and welcome any asistance in that area. Yes we haven't visited Fetlar yet, but its on the todo list, this is after all the beginning I find myself at.

Oh I have serious plans, otherwise I wouldn't be here talking. (And using my real name!)

If you mean, serious plans and with millions in my back pocket, then no I do not have plenty of money at the moment.

But even with a small amount we could still build our own home, and having looked around the rest of the UK, Shetland is looking most promising.

Unless you know somewhere else you can buy cheap land and doesn't have much crime..