Earth Sheltered Housing

Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nigel, looks like someone else has taken an idea like yours a little further already

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4680901.pdf

... "Precast concrete dome system"

A word or two on patents. I am very dubious about patents generally, but in the field of weird structures the situation is particularly bad. There are loads of garage "inventors" obsessively filing for patents which are completely unjustifiable. These are then very often granted by the patent offices and the "inventors" feel great. They then find that having a patent only provides them with the opportunity to sue supposed infringers, which is very expensive, especially if worldwide coverage is attempted. In other words you can't just issue a "desist" letter and have the legal system do the policing for you. As most of these patents have been incorrectly granted despite masses of prior-art, there is almost no chance of them being upheld.

So in summary. Patents for weird structure construction methods should be treated with a pinch of salt legally.

EM, I didn't post it because I thought Nigel mite be infringing on other ppl's patented work, more so he had some more reference material ;)

Absolutely clear. I just thought it appropo to mention the trend because it is very common to encounter the issue of patents in this field and it might lead some to think that the various patents have some weight.

^^ If it is Hilly, then he has gone to disturbing lengths to "authenticate" this character! http://www.nanos.org.uk/me/pictures/pictures.htm :shock: :?

Well if he is genuine I suggest we contact the relevant agencies to ensure he can't get in, Shetland already has it's fair share of 'eccentric' incomers.

Having been on bulletin boards for over 10 years now, there's very few folk who ever admit who they really are and even fewer who use their real name to post.

:lol: :lol: Well, if Shetland is going to have an Immigration Agency, we 1st have to get independence and become non-EC country. Then we'd be able to make personality tests in Sumburgh Airport and Holmgarth Ferry Terminal before allowing people to enter the Islands. :D

Now these ideas sound somewhat familiar :wink: :D

But I am pretty sure we don't need to worry about Mr. Jarman coming up here....

I'll get my webcam back up and running, then you can see I'm real and not Mr Hill.

I'd be interested to know your objections Infilrator, is there something in particular about my plan that you want changed, or that I missed out ?

No objections but I'm a practical personal and I'd like to know when you plan to start....

1) Building a brave new world

2) Setting up an internet company in Shetland

3) Building 15,000 new low rent 'earthdomes'

4) Building a new community in Shetland of 10,000 people where 20% will be security/street cleaners

Are you waiting for some sort of divine signal?

I plan to win the lottery and retire early somewhere sunny, I'd suggest I have a stronger chance of my plans succedding than you do.

According to this site...

http://www.geocities.com/rnseitz/Definition_of_IQ.html

with an IQ of 200, on a population frequency basis that makes you one of the top 60 cleverest people in the UK, you're in a category with Newton and Shakespeare. Shouldn't you be over in Switzerland helping with the The Large Hadron Collider?

Like I mentioned previously, maybe a visit (pilgrimage possiby?) to Shetland would be a good first step before all this hot air creates a hole in the Ozone layer over Southall.

If you want to integrate yourself into a community like Shetland you'll find that spouting crap with any action isn't the way to start.

At least the Tellytubbies built a house

:wink:

we dont know why nigel wants to move; and i dont see why mocking him will help. if his ideas are just that at least someone in london knows were we are.

how is this build going to be payed for can't see a bank paying up.

is it a waste of time we have learnt about a new building style and the wonders of mass pored concrete.

we dont know why nigel wants to move; and i dont see why mocking him will help. if his ideas are just that at least someone in london knows were we are.

how is this build going to be payed for can't see a bank paying up.

is it a waste of time we have learnt about a new building style and the wonders of mass pored concrete.

You've not read the whole thread, Paulb. Nigel wants to wait till he has earned a fortune in IT business. Then he is going to spend his money on houses and only demand a symbolic rent thus being charitable toward the lesser fortunate. This should according to Mr. Jarman maintain the population on the Islands.

You're right it is not bad to have excentric views on things and this new building construction is entertaining if you perceive it as such; entertainment.

The world'd definitely be more dull without colourfull persons like Mr. Jarman.