Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

Just a bit of advice for anyone who may never have been to a hall before (my father and partner learned the hard way):

1) It's a BYOB occasion.

2) The Sound Hall and the hall in the Sound School are two separate venues, make sure you get tickets for the right place.

Um, what's the story with the Sound School venue? Everyone was dressed to the nine's... is this a normal thing for the halls? I've never been to one before so I couldn't tell them what to expect They ended up staying for 15 minutes feeling terribly underdressed and booze-less before meandering to the pubs (and having a smashing time regardless).

I too thought that the webcam was a fabulous idea - it meant I could have a sneak peek at what was going on even though I was home with the kids.

^ I didn't know you got dressed up for Up Helly Aa. I accidentally got them tickets for the school instead of the hall. They didn't find out until they were turned away at the Sound Hall entrance. :( Serves me right for not checking the tickets properly.

*edited for presence of rogue comma.

Met a Ness man at the procession. (taking photos)

Said his bairn :lol: had taken him out of the bed at 08:30 a.m to watch the webcam. :roll:

NZ

P**ks

What a superb night. Rae's a real ambassador for Shetland.

Considering he was sleeping at da hoose dey wir aboot tae invade den I tink I did him a favour!! ;)

Indeed, well done tae Rae, fae the soonds o' things everything went really weel. Looking forward tae hearin' da stories when reality keeks back in.

That's me stuffed for a night in the halls in future then :shock: Dressed up for me means a shave and a change of combats and t-shirt :lol:

I am quite happy to wear a frock and a couple of xl balloons though, so may be I'll pass muster 8)

I reckon you'd only get away with it if you wore a Gossard Wonderbra and deffo not a Playtex Cross-me-heart bra. :wink:

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa