Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

• 3 weeks later...

We were speaking about this tonight and... :wink:

I reckon the Lerwick Up Helly Aa could do with a makeover.

Here are the two-ish options to ponder over or add to:

1) Block the drains in the playpark and flood it, to at least emulate a proper fire festival (Think of the photos - and it could also double as an ice rink, huh? huh?)

2) Move the burning to the Clickimin if it's fine wadder- I mean, why not? Far better visibility for the crowd and it would be a proper (cough) fire festival.

3) (really 1.2) Buy and knock down at least two houses on King Harald Street and build a grandstand. Funding could be sought - community engagement and all that.

Option 1 would be the cheapest, and with added benefits. The playpark equipment could be moved to the flooer park in winter, or, less favourable, build a bund around the central area to flood it and not the whole park.

I'm the last person on the planet that would normally jump to the defence of the lertwick Up helly Aa, as I usually am the first to take the rise out of those who see it as even more sacred than football! But I couldna resist dis wan.

But

1) What's the fixation with water? The 'playpark' provides a great all round view for a huge number of people which wouldn't be possible if there was only one side to watch from without getting your feet wet. And how would you get 1000 geezers wi flamin torches surrounding the galley without at least a few drownings?

2) That was done at the last hamefarin, and as far as I know is planned for this hamefarin. It needed cranes to pull it off as there's no real launching site. No sure the vikings had easy access to them. And as for the 'if it's fine wadder'. Dey insist on doing it in da middle o winter! Fine wadder dusna come into it, an of course them that 'dunna burn their galley in a playpark' also dunna burn their galley if it's a day o s*!+e!

3) There wis a grandstand. The old library (FE centre?) before King Erik house was built. The roof used to be full of spectators. progress seems to have put paid to dat wan!

Whit's du gyan ta cum up wi neest? weemin atill it?

1) Block the drains in the playpark and flood it, to at least emulate a proper fire festival (Think of the photos - and it could also double as an ice rink, huh? huh?)

I like this due to the fact we would need baywatch pamela anderson lifegaurds to cover the health and saftey side of things.

Move everything out of the peerie dock for the day, and build a grandstand on the pier. Has a launch point and a multi tier grandstand the length of the pier would hold a lot of people. I pity those in the top couple of tiers if he's a good goin Nor'aester on the night though. :P

The council are doin far worse things with our money. :wink:

I reckon the Lerwick Up Helly Aa could do with a makeover.

You could be right there Njugle.

"The Lerwick Up Helly Aa" could do with a makeover, for instance:-

Keep it at da Hillhead:-

"A Hilly Cartwheel Puke"

Move it nearer the seaside:-

"A Purely Ethical Whelk"

More Musical:-

"A Patchy Ukelele Whirl"

Educational:-

"A Yuk Ill Teacher Whelp"

Religious:-

"Replaace Hell With Yuk"

Rural:-

"Create a Yell Hulk Whip"

Questionable Caribou:-

"Why Create a Uphill Elk"

Medicinal:-

"A Weekly Hurt Pill Ache"

The "Science Squad" stay out late:-

"A Helical Phew Yet Lurk"

Strangely Country:-

"A Phallic Turkey Wheel"

Highlands & Islands Enterprise discover a damp computer technician:-

"HIE Wetly Pull a Hacker"

I could go on... :twisted:

Yeah its no moved on for a while. Maybe we could move on to the tudor period and burn the Mary Rose. The guizer jarl could dress up a Henry VIII. :wink:

I'm afraid you are a bit behind the times, 102 years to be precise. A replica of the Great Harry was indeed built and burned at the 1908 Up Helly Aa.

http://photos.shetland-museum.org.uk/index.php?a=wordsearch&s=item&key=WczoxMToiZ3JlYXQgaGFycnkiOw==&pg=1

• 1 month later...
  • admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa