Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

Wonder what's going to be made of this little performance?

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/7890-bressay-beards-leave-isle-without-fire-cover

Thats pathetic - if you take on a role of a fireman, you accept responsibility for completing that role to the best of your abilities and no doubt get paid to do so, albeit a retainer.

Get new responsible fire-persons seems to be the answer here.

Edited by Aaron Foord

... their ability to identify whoever is behind a camera is very minimal

Not really an issue. Identifying who is in front of a camera is fairly trivial, at least which squad is involved, and that is what matters.

... that is generating the flack.

Flack? Hardly. Not a squeak on the matter from any Guizer at the Mass Meeting, and I haven't spoken with anyone who has any disagreement with any of the sentiments expressed in the Committee's communication. As much of a non-story as it is possible to conceive.

My Tuppence worth:

Personally, I've never liked the modern phenomena of cameras and video phones etc being so prevalent when folk are letting their hair down. I consider it to be an invasion of privacy. There's a few times when I've been acting the goat in 'non-public' spaces and photos and footage have been taken without my knowledge, let alone consent, and ended up on Facebook and YouTube. I find the whole thing to be a bit sinister, so I'm behind the committee's sentiment. Luckily no-one in our squad seems to feel the need to document anything 'behind the scenes'

On balance, however, the statement could have perhaps been better worded in places. PR has never really been the committee's strong point (if indeed an 'internal memo' to squads should be considered as PR) but I think they got their point across.

... their ability to identify whoever is behind a camera is very minimal

Not really an issue. Identifying who is in front of a camera is fairly trivial, at least which squad is involved, and that is what matters.

Maybe its the hour, but I'm not following what you're saying here at all.

How can identifying who is in front of the camera be fairly trivial, and also be the thing that matters?

Edited by Ghostrider

Wonder what's going to be made of this little performance?

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/7890-bressay-beards-leave-isle-without-fire-cover

I think there should have been a compromise on the lines of the guys turn out for a fire shout but carry a shaving kit in the appliance and are prepared to use it if breathing apparatus is needed.  After all that would give a far quicker response than could come from Lerwick.

Does anyone know if we'll be able to watch the procession live online like last year? Folk have been asking me.

I have searched the Up Helly Aa site and there wasn't anything on about it, nor on the Tourist office site either.

The 60 North webcams have been offline for months but I see tonight there is one screen you can look at, with the music- are they gearing up for Tuesday?

{And how many things / places will sport the spelling variation "Up Helly A' instead of Up Helly Aa?

And which is correct? I had always thought it was the Aa version - personally, I think it looks better.

{In the 1936 Programme everything was spelled: "Up-Helly-Aa"]

Edited by mogling

GR, have to rush out just now, will reply to your query when I get back.

Does anyone know if we'll be able to watch the procession live online like last year?

Yes, this is happening.

spelling variation "Up Helly A' instead of Up Helly Aa?

And which is correct?

Both are correct, as is "Up-Helly Aa" and probably a few more too. It has never been standardised and none is fixed as the definitive, even today.

The issue of the Up Helly Aa / Up Helly A' spelling hss been discussed at our squad meetings over the years. Thus includes present and past Jarls who insist that the festival name is Up Helly Aa. It is only the Shetland Times who use Up Helly A', and they print the programme.

On Tuesday you will see the Bill Head with one spelling and the programme cover with another!

I tend to believe the festival organisers which one is correct.

Edited by Stirrer

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa