Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

Sorry JVR but the Scalloway fire festival and the other country UHA's are not the same as the LK one. I am not saying it is better - only different.

LK has grown beyond the others to such a degree that i don't think it is what it once was. The others retain some of the original "feel" and concept of what UHA is all about. LK has lost some of that due to media invasion and tourism requirements.

In its defence i would say that as a spectacle it is unmatched by any of the others and it does contribute massively to the Shetland economy - what other reason would tourists have to come to Shetland in January?

Fair point and to be honest I do like winding you lot up aboot UHA on here and yea I dare say you like winding me up too!!

I agree it is a spectacle and I did enjoy being in the procession, the best bit aboot UHA in my opinion.

I just think sometimes the country festivals are looked down apon by not all but some people involved in UHA. Dont knock it until you`ve tried it I say and the biggest is not always the best!

I hear that there are 78 guisers in this years Lerwick Jarl's squad. An absolutely ridiculous number. If the Queens, Old Sound Hall & Islesburgh House were still open, that size of a Jarl's squad would have caused some interesting situations!

I pity da poor squad dat gets stuck ahint dem dat nite! Dats taking it too far!

I agree it is a spectacle and I did enjoy being in the procession, the best bit aboot UHA in my opinion.

I just think sometimes the country festivals are looked down apon by not all but some people involved in UHA. Dont knock it until you`ve tried it I say and the biggest is not always the best!

Agreed!, I enjoy being in the Toonie UHA procession but the Northmavine and Brae UHA's win hands down when it comes tae havin a spree!!

I have to say, and i knoiw this will upset some - or a lot odf! - folk, but I prefer the outlying festivals. The squads look a bit more authentic. I mean by that they look more like you'd expect some big hairyass Viking would look like and no some 8 stone geezer with glasses like milk bottles anbd a vague and vain attempt at a beard, like i have seen in some of the Lerwick squads.

I'm bracing myself for the hatemail already, but I mean, lookit last years Bressay guizer. He LOOKED every inch a Viking (and yes, i know, he's not a Shetlander by birth, some of you. Doesnt matter a jot IMHO).

:wink:

Scalloway in particular has something a bit primal about theirs, know what i mean? :?:

I have to say, and i knoiw this will upset some - or a lot odf! - folk, but I prefer the outlying festivals. The squads look a bit more authentic. I mean by that they look more like you'd expect some big hairyass Viking would look like and no some 8 stone geezer with glasses like milk bottles anbd a vague and vain attempt at a beard, like i have seen in some of the Lerwick squads.

I'm bracing myself for the hatemail already, but I mean, lookit last years Bressay guizer. He LOOKED every inch a Viking (and yes, i know, he's not a Shetlander by birth, some of you. Doesnt matter a jot IMHO).

:wink:

Scalloway in particular has something a bit primal about theirs, know what i mean? :?:

I think the word your looking for is Neanderthol

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa