Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

^^ He's gyaan ta be wan reeky beggar o' a nicht if awboddy is burnin pure deesil.

The basic story is that traditionally pink paraffin (a form of kerosene) was used. When this stopped being available locally in adequate quantity, a different kerosene was used. This seemed to burn hotter and quicker initially, but by the end of the procession seemed to have less oomph. For last year tests were carried out and some diesel was added with a view to moderating the initial burn. Reekier than anticipated.

For this year I'm not sure what is actually being used. There are different things being said. My understanding is that it will be a "single malt" trad paraffin rather than a blend, but the 100% diesel line is being spread by some. I think it is a wind-up.

But Vikings didn't have wings, horns or any other appendages on the helmets.

But what? Neither did they have laser cut metalwork, uniform suits, etc etc. Just as the galley is not an attempt at an historically accurate replica Viking ship (but rather an heraldic Viking ship), the Viking suits are theatrical UHA Viking suits.

cos it looked good.

Exactly. It is spectacle pure and simple. I personally liked Mark Manson's designs which actually were more authentic than usual, and looked particularly good during the day. It tends to be the case that the shinier ones work better at night. Difficult to get something which works well both during the day and during the procession.

Come on folks, where are all the pictures! I consider this a lifeline service for getting photos on Up Helly Aa day!

I agree, I'm at work and couldn't get to see the proclamation this morning, I tried the webcams this morning and they're down due to, and I quote, 'electircal storms and strong winds' was sooooooooooo looking forward to at least some photo's on here.

Please someone :cry: :cry:

I must be doing something wrong then, I tried that one around 9.30 and just got a black screen, same thing now... Help

Seems ok here. Black screen for the first second or two then the music and live footage kicks in. Is the live footage of the procession still going ahead? >

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa