SIC Chief Executive

Seaflech

Ironically, if North Korea had internet access and the service was hosted there, you might get more freedom of speach to talk :-)

I too remember the old days when you could say anything. (I'm suprised there isn't a usenet/newsgroup shetland group..) And nowdays you have to watch every word, which rather makes it hard at times to fight the man so to speak.

Ironically, if North Korea had internet access and the service was hosted there, you might get more freedom of speach to talk :-)

I too remember the old days when you could say anything. (I'm suprised there isn't a usenet/newsgroup shetland group..) And nowdays you have to watch every word, which rather makes it hard at times to fight the man so to speak.

How dreadful. People having to be careful in what they say, sticking to the truth and what they can prove etc. The libel laws have changed to encompass the new technologies and as ever there is a lag between the release of new technology and the legislation fully addressing the potential impact, sometimes never completely catching up. That doesn't mean there was ever a license to say anything you liked though.

From the early days, CIX, Compuserve etc had acceptable use policies and a somewhat vociferous peer community capable of politely and within the AUP flaming a troll back into oblivion. AOL too had a fairly expansive AUP regarding postings deemed offensive to others.

There are, and always have been, potential consequences in posting anything, not the least that the post hangs around for a very long time.

CIX rarely tells anyone off for saying anything (I've been a member myself for is it 13 years now...), its only lately that acceptable use policies have began to be used by people afraid of others speaking about them in public and causing embarressment when speaking the truth.

Previously, if someone said something that was a lie, you could defend yourself in debate and show your evidence to everyone, often then the lier would be shown up as that. Nowdays, no one dare say anything in most quarters for fear of the finger of doom being pointed and told to shut up or be sued.

Ebay sadly went really down hill when it stopped people talking about their experiences, and now we have:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5009293.ece

> eBay buyer faces libel action after leaving negative feedback

Even asking councillors on forums nowdays will get you thrown off when you ask such awkward questions as how much is the budget for collecting rubbish..

Now what happens is people speak behind closed doors, or closed forums.. so its now eaiser for people to make up lies as there is no one there to defend against them.

CIX rarely tells anyone off for saying anything (I've been a member myself for is it 13 years now...), its only lately that acceptable use policies have began to be used by people afraid of others speaking about them in public and causing embarressment when speaking the truth.

You ever worked for an ISP or large corporate that provides computer services to its own and/or external users? The AUP is very important, and in many instances forms a contract between user and provider, employee and employer etc. If an ISP fails to do anything about a complaint then that is their issue and at their own risk - Demon Internet had a problem with a scientist who complained about postings which Demon failed to remove back in 1997.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/304869.stm

To say that people hide behind AUPs because they're afraid of being embarrassed by someone speaking truths about them is in my opinion trite nonsense. It is the same as saying if you've nothing to hide why are you worried about privacy?

Now what happens is people speak behind closed doors, or closed forums.. so its now eaiser for people to make up lies as there is no one there to defend against them.

They could also plot their demise, plan a secret birthday party, or gossip, who knows. Besides that is covered by slander and defamation legislation, and unlike print and internet postings doesn't hang around forever.

head of Trust & Treasury Services the internal auditors of the shetland development trusts is jeff goodlad.

:? Are you sure you aren't meaning Jeff Goddard, Charitable Trust Financial Controller and former head of SIC Treasury Services?

Isn't he former Charitable Trust General Manager?

No. He became acting Charitable Trust General Manager after Hazel Sutherland left and presumably will be until Ann Black takes up the post. He will then go back to his job as Financial Controller.

i want to know more about this shetland halibut loan.

The Shetland Development Trust seem proud of it anyway. Its listed as one of their achievements

http://www.sdt.shetland.org/Diversification.aspx

Shetland Halibut Company:

"Without a loan from Shetland Development Trust it would not have been possible for us to diversify into halibut farming."

or without this loan we could not afford a nice new house,car, holiday ect. have a look at some of the homes of some of these hard up/bust fish farmers and tell me there is nothing going on. we should stay well away from fish farming after all apart from its mainly norweigan now the product is falling in price. how much has been lost to these companies. and how much as been lent to people who went bust and then reapplyed for another. when we do give a loan maybe we should insist that we have the first charge and the loan must be covered by assets. and when we find one thats gone bust we get the assets like the jardine factory. we dont need to act like a bank but we should not allow money to vanish into who knows what.

we should stay well away from fish farming after all apart from its mainly norweigan now the product is falling in price.

Why should we stay away from it just because it's Norwegian? Apparently a lot of Shetlanders count themselves more Norwegian than Scottish. Think how much employment it creates in the Isles, I think I'd rather see a few nice cars and houses on the Isles than a long queue coming out of the dole office.

paulb, Please experiment with other punctuation marks than full stops, it's like reading a telegraph. stop.

(We're getting slightly off topic I know........)

^^ I don't see how people counting themselves as Norwegian has anything to do with it? But, as you say, the fish farming industry is very important to Shetland!

Paulb, for you to say that we should stay away from fish farming because many of them are owned by Norwegian companies, is nonsensical at best! Imagine if we did.....how many people in Shetland would be out of a job if the companies went bust?