man with a gun

paulb

Not sure if this ok. but a guy has been driving around up here blasting away from his car at bunnies. was watching him for a few minutes he was shooting into a lot of diffrent fields all with sheep/ponies in. the kids were out with the sheep at the time it spooked them. thats the kids. i know that the bunnies are a problem but there are better ways than blasting into fields of livestock with a shotgun.

I dunno what the law says about sittng in a vehicle on a (assumedly) public road, shooting at things nearby, but unless said shooter had explicit permission from the occupiers of the land he was shooting in to and/or over, he's well out of line. While wildlife may not recognise or adhere to any boundary as we know it, humans have to, as while one occupier may well be delighted to have pest type wildlife thinned out on his property, his neighbour may well be of the opposite opinion, and they're both entitled to have their individual opinions respected.

Dats illegal

Common offences

Section 19 of the Firearms Act 1968, makes it an offence to have in any public place, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof shall lie with him/her) any of the following: -

1) A loaded shotgun

2) A loaded air weapon

3) Any other firearm loaded, or unloaded if the person also has suitable ammunition in his/her possession

Section 20 of the Act creates an offence for any person, in possession of a firearm, to trespass onto any land or buildings, without reasonable excuse (the proof whereof shall lie with him/her),

It is a crime at common law for any person to recklessly discharge a firearm, whether or not actual injury is caused

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway having vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

The Highways Act does not apply in Scotland but Procurators Fiscal may use common law offences of 'culpable and reckless conduct' and 'reckless endangerment' in situations in which the 1980 Act would be contravened in England and Wales.

is it legal...No

is it common..well yes kind of.

If the person in question was just shooting Rabbits I wouldn't have any concern(specially way out in the sticks) if they were shooting at or near someone else then I'd have called the police.

I'd have to say I agree with that. Used to be more common when people were less officious about gun usage. I could relate a number of relevant anecdotes of varying degrees of humour but suffice to say, people certainly didn't used be in any way afraid to confront those shooting from the highway in times past if it accidentally encroached on their, erm, tame pigeons.

If a public highway is not a public place the it is legal. I seem to remember somebody being prosecuted for having a load air pistol in a vehicle on the public highway not so long ago.

The interpretation of legality is down to the P.F.

Discharging a firearm form a vehicle on the public highway is an offence in most countries including most of the USA!

Zog