paulb

How do you view your NHS service in Shetland  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How do you view your NHS service in Shetland

• Good
    • Bad
    • Indifferent

The NHS is a joke, and Britain prides itself on this institution. :roll:

What's the alternative? Only Private-health care like in America? Now that's what I call a disaster (volume 23)

Personally, I know of no-one in my family or friends who haven't had great service with the NHS so this whole 'complacent' NHS is a bit redundant based on my experiences, but that is what it is: my experiences.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the alternative? Only Private-health care like in America? Now that's what I call a disaster (volume 23)

Absolutely not--don't want to go down that road--but an improvement in the existing service is needed. The lack of a proper ambulance service to cover Shetland is truly appalling in this day and age. Are we going to see a worst case scenario before something is done? Are the public going to have to fund their own ambulance service in a similar vein to the CATS appeal or Mutts Against Marijuana?

the staff will try as hard as they can to cover the shifts to ensure that the patients dont suffer. A really good indicator of staff moral is both turnover and sickness levels.

the staff wether ambulance drivers,doctors or nurses down to the support staff but each one is faced with cuts ect.

is it reasonable for a man with heart problems to wait two hours for an ambulance of courses its not. But unless we are willing to spend a larger amount on the ambulance service then thats what we have.

we have a population of 22000 and falling dont expect cover at all times its really not going to happen.

why could the local gp not have gone to see him he could have blue lighted him to hospital. yes they have opted out of the 24 hour cover but they have a duty of care.

i still wonder why the fastest area of job growth is in management.

^^ That would be the same "duty of care" that when a kid got knocked off their bike by a car only a matter of yards from a GP's home, that said GP refused to give the kid a quick once over when asked to, just to check they were okay, as they were "off duty". The kid was registered with their practice too, it wasn't like it was some passing stranger either.

That occured nearly 20 years ago, the rot didn't start today, its been a steady decline for a very long time.

Shetlands health service and indeed the uks one is so good that most ppl will have a trouble free visit because the nurses and doctors actually care!!! they are working more to cover the downfalls and gaps which the goverment are causing by not funding it enough, i know quite a few nurses and can say this is the case as if they are asked too work extra shifts they say yes they dnt get paid overtime!! (but get hours back if they can but cos of shortages you cant always)

when the nurses stop caring we will have a problem but i doubt they will after all who would do a job like that if they didnt!! crappy pay, long hours with many many ungratfull and abusive patients (in shetland i mite add as well)

After all while your sitting at your desk working and someone came into your office and spat at you or swore at you called u al names under sun - would you say anything back? would you still help them? most ppl would say no i know i would!!

Nurses esp deserve an awful lot of respect they cant refuse too treat someone and police can somtimes take a while to arrive and with no security!! its madness!!

We have a great service but its going too get worse!!! a lot worse

Can I just say that the Red Cross do a fantastic job ferrying us to and from the airport.

I am about to do the NHS Surgery thing at Woodend, Aberdeen, and so far I can't fault anyone apart from Flybe who have never heard of a wheelchair.

Everyone has been helpful and kind. You wouldn't get this level of outpatient care south, I can tell you that.

I've seen quiet a few folk taken to and from the plane by wheelchair since flybe took over, try organizing it through thurso, also best place to call for booking your flight with ADS card. Fine freindly helpfull folk on the phone they will even call you back with the best deal to save you waiting on the line.

Absolutely not--don't want to go down that road--but an improvement in the existing service is needed. The lack of a proper ambulance service to cover Shetland is truly appalling in this day and age. Are we going to see a worst case scenario before something is done? Are the public going to have to fund their own ambulance service in a similar vein to the CATS appeal or Mutts Against Marijuana?

Very likely. Seems our "esteemed tribal elders" :roll: have already virtually committed us in to funding part of the fire service, so why not the ambulance too. :evil:

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/news_12_2008/Sandy%20offers%20to%20help%20fund%20fire%20stations.htm

It seems we have the damn SNP Government to "thank" in the most appropriate we we see fit, for this state of affairs seeing as they just cut the budget by 50%. First they cut the budget for new build council housing, now they cut it for emergency services. If this is a taster of what an independent Scotland will be like, I'm outta here before it happens.....

hi

thought i'd put my bit in here from my experience so far of the nhs

moved up here to be closer to my family. heard so much about how shetland is soo much better than south for things like nhs, schooling, council etc etc

well when i was living south i was due for a ct scan, as i was pregnant they wanted me to hold off till the baby was born. baby was born up here and days after my due date i recieved a letter to my old address from the hospital south wanting me to go for my ct scan. as i lived here i cancelled. thinking i wont have long to wait up here since i'd been hearing how local services are so good

then i got a letter from the hospital up here saying there is an 18 week waiting list for ct scan... when i got it and told folk they thought the whole of shetland must be going for a scan!!!! at the time i wish i'd just gone south for my original appointment so i could get on with my treatment

however, even though there was a long wait everything is getting investicated so got ct scan one day, blood tests next, and lung tests the next. which is good but also bad having to travel by ferry having 3 seperate appointments is costing a fortune on ferry fares. but is good its getting delt withafter a 18 week wait

this isn't anything to do with the topic, but got a council house, its a tip, spent hundreds getting it into a decent move in condition. where as down south from friends who've had council houses. they've been cleaned, painted and anything fixed before moving in. you wouldn't get that here

to sum it all up really, it doesn't matter where you stay the local services are going to be mince or will go good for some folk and like me you dont seem to have much luck with it!!!!

then i got a letter from the hospital up here saying there is an 18 week waiting list for ct scan...

Was this recently? I mean since the scanner was brought into use here. If so thats shocking! We must have the most underused CT scanner on the globe.

I was peeved at having to wait 10 days for a CT scan in Aberdeen. What was all that fundraising about then if it adds 4 months to the waiting time?

yeah, just got it last week. had the baby in june so would've got my letter from shetland nhs not long after that

i did find it strange. was trying to work out how many folk would need one going on a 9-5 shift for hospital staff.

it took 10 mins approx and thats time for undressing, there must be a huge demand.

will need to look out my letter to get an actual date but i thought 18 weeks was a huge wait for the size of shetland

the one thing that was different from south was i had to go for xrays first they had 3 rooms that you'd go in and get changed into the gown and wait till your turn. all 3 rooms led to the xray room so they'd always have someone there waiting. where as here it was 1 changing room. no place for the next person to be ready and waiting so no delays or hold ups