Scary Films

Suzanna

Why are they always set in the dark, making it difficult to see what's happening, you have torches and such but you can't make out most of what's going on, I think I might be best sticking to my scary books and my imagination, does anyone else feel the same, or is it just my eyesight... :?

Talking about scary, I once read a book by Dennis Wheatly, 'The Devil Rides out' I had a nightmare after reading it, it was a really bad one and woke up in a sweat with the devil chasing me, years later I watched the film on tv and had the same nightmare..any comments?

^^tlady

I agree about scary things in the world, but what I watch is fantasy, magic and the such, just wish they weren't always shot in the dark, daylight can be scary as well.

Actually real life is more scary than the films, it scares me to watch the news these days :?

• 4 weeks later...
The very idea of it being hard-to-see is to make you use your imagination. Imagination is more interesting than reality. Do you want to see a monster in full light, or only partially see it and only imagine what it might look like.

Scary films have been done to death over the years so they just aren't scary anymore. You know now, it'll a guy with a blade in a mask, or a CGI beast from satan's nether-regions.

The scariest film recently was the ring, because you could see the threat, but it directly broke the boundary between us and the tv screen.

^Watch [REC] my son.

Sadly, another film that I found dull. True it managed not to be predictable, but the characters never drew me in (thanks to some awkward acting and a poorly constructed script, mostly) and, personally, I found the plot jarred in places. Sorry! :?

C'mon Jeemsie be fair - you're the one who wants another Transformers movie so awkward acting and a poorly constructed script? Please.... :lol:

Actually you're not far wrong there, I found the plot to be a little telegraphed and the movie seemed oddly cut as there wasn't a great story flow. I think that was what gave the appearance of poor acting and weak characterisation. The idea was good, the setting well done, the propping and continuity well above average, but like I said, it felt oddly cut which caused for me some of Jeemsie's plot jarring. That being said, I didn't think it was a waste of time watching it. It just didn't quite live up to its promise.

I must be the only one who doesn't let a 'bad script' or bad acting ruin a movie. I didn't think for a second that [REC] was badly written or badly acted, I just thought that it was fantastic.

But then again, I thrive on horror movies, and my collection has everything from the Halloween's, to "Grim Weekend" and "Troll 1/2", the latter two there have been in the IMDB's bottom 100's bottom 10 before.

Weak acting in [REC]? I urge anyone who thought so to revisit that film, as the performances are superb. As with Blair Witch, there were several sequences during which the cast had no idea what was going to happen; their performances are as "verité" as it's possible to be.

JAS - I also own Troll 1 and 2... Interesting stat: The father in the first film is named "Harry Potter". Rowling is obviously a big fan to throw out that homage to the Troll franchise.

As for Transformers Jeemsie - I hope to God you're referring to the 1986 film, because Michael Bay's 2007 crapfest sure as f*ck wasn't Transformers... [/rant - This isn't the right place for it.]