mobo and hd not seeing eye to eye

spokeshave

ok, i'll try to keep this short, i have a DFI NF4 SLI-DR and it can't see my 1TB sata hd on the initial boot, if i leave it to kirn away for a while until it sees my 250GB sata hd, then CTRL-ALT-Delete, it sees the 1TB on the next boot

if i boot from the 250gig drive, windows sees the 1TB and i can find no problems when i run the seagate drive dignostic tools, so i'm guessing the drive's ok

any ideas?

It might have something to do with the drives' jumper settings, or their position on the cable. :?

the only jumper on the drive gives you the option of 1.5gb/s or 3gb/s data rate, it's set to 3gb/s and plugged into a 3gb/s connection on the mobo, the 250gb drive is the same speed, so i know that's not the reason, and there's only 1 drive per cable with sata.

have you tried upgrading the bios to a new version?, might be worth a shot, can you see both the HDD's in the bios setup menu?

that's the only thing i can think to try, but the DFI website is a mess o s**te right now, i can find the bios updates, but there's taiwanese fonts dotted around the version descriptions and they're calling my motherboard a lanparty UT nF4 Sli-DR... there's no UT on my box or motherboard, but that's the only one i can find one the website, can you see why i'm a bit wary?

nearly forgot, yes and no, the hd shows up in the bios only after i've re-started, the 250gb one shows up every time

It might have something to do with the drives' jumper settings, or their position on the cable. :?

Yep, there is no slave/master positions with SATA cables.

the only jumper on the drive gives you the option of 1.5gb/s or 3gb/s data rate, it's set to 3gb/s and plugged into a 3gb/s connection on the mobo, the 250gb drive is the same speed, so i know that's not the reason, and there's only 1 drive per cable with sata.

I would try the slower jumper position just in case.

Is there a setting in the bios to wait and let the drive spin up for a few seconds first ?

You could also try swapping the HD cables over in case that makes any difference. (Eg. change cable connected to drive A to drive B, but leave it connected the other end to the motherboard.)

If there is anything else which might slow the startup too, like a memory test, suggest turning that on too and see if it makes any difference.

Making a note of BIOS settings, clearing the bios and starting again might also magically work.

Is there a setting in the bios to wait and let the drive spin up for a few seconds first ?

not that i've noticed, but i'll have another look

You could also try swapping the HD cables over in case that makes any difference. (Eg. change cable connected to drive A to drive B, but leave it connected the other end to the motherboard.)

unintentionally done that already, i doubt a cable fault would be so predictable tho

If there is anything else which might slow the startup too, like a memory test, suggest turning that on too and see if it makes any difference.

the drive itself seems to slow down the whole boot process, makes sense that maybe the drive's taking too long to respond and the bios is deciding it's not there, but it's up and running during the re-start

Making a note of BIOS settings, clearing the bios and starting again might also magically work.

i'll try that too, good job more or less everything's still set to factory, there's a LOT of settings in this bios

Surprised that no one else has asked but, what is the quoted speed (RPM) of the drive.

Some of the faster spinning ones take a while longer to spin up and stabilise particularly if there's a lot of other stuff demanding power at the same time (PSU again..)

Did it come with any software? Seen some drives (very few) that have to be pre-configured from a bootable CD.

Another possibility is the SATA cable. Because it's a 300Mbs 1Tb drive you might need to purchase a 'high quality' cable to handle the data rates.

Personal experience indicates that some of the SATA cables supplied with MOBO's are 'adequate' and no more.

Also worth considering is the MOBO itself. Maybe it isn't quite up to it's quoted spec. If you can, try setting the BIOS to 'Safe Settings' mode (Most of them seem to have this or something similar)

Sorry i got confused amd thought it was the filthy racist carry on called the mobos, im lost but atleast in a gd way carry on......

filthy? well, you never know, maybe music of black origin doesn't see eye to eye with my hd either, i could go on and on about racisim, but i won't, since i'm the topic is "me, and my dicky hard drive"

Surprised that no one else has asked but, what is the quoted speed (RPM) of the drive.

7,200rpm

Did it come with any software? Seen some drives (very few) that have to be pre-configured from a bootable CD.

it came with a cd of software for diagnosis and copying across an original boot image, no formatting tools or anything like that.

Another possibility is the SATA cable. Because it's a 300Mbs 1Tb drive you might need to purchase a 'high quality' cable to handle the data rates.

maybe... my older hd is 3Gb/s 250Gb and it's had no problems, could the extra capacity really be an issue, since it's supposed to be sending and receiving at the same speed? where do you get high-quality cables from, and how do you know they're high-quality?

Also worth considering is the MOBO itself. Maybe it isn't quite up to it's quoted spec. If you can, try setting the BIOS to 'Safe Settings' mode (Most of them seem to have this or something similar)

i'll have a dig in the bios again, but like i said, my older hd is supposed to be working at the same speed and i've had no problems with it... touch formica, i can understand the bios not being able to wrap it's tiny silicon brain around the bottomless pit of a 1Tb hd, but i figured the sata part of it would just carry on reguardless, i could easily be wrong

I've got a nice 600W PSU for sale (hint, hint Wink )

sorry arabia, i have a stand-by 650W i got in a sale, better timing next time ;)