Companies who deliver to Shetland & Courier Agents

admin

Might be a case that UPS alternate between the two? As I stated in previous post, my UPS from the States came via the post office. It may well be that UPS use Northwards/Streamline dependent upon where it has come from and the weight.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the problem is that people have a nostalgia for a time when they had a local postie who knew them by name, lived in the same area and had been doing the same route for years.

Unfortunately routes are now way bigger and staff turnover is significantly higher. Plus your friendly Postman Pat didn't have to deliver multiple mailshot's, catalogues and assorted junk within a set time-scale or be promptly sacked.

Additionally, people didn't order most of their stuff online, from vendors who usually address it with a misspelled name and some vague assembly of letters that is supposed to represent an address (and I'm not talking about a postcode here).

Add this to the fact that many people (although not all) have no house name or number visible whatsoever. Even if you choose something outrageously pretentious that somehow marries the Nordic Tongue with a character from Star Trek, at least it's a name.

I am, of course, looking at this from the delivery guy's point of view for reasons that are probably obvious. Needless to say I don't want to get into a protracted debate about the relative merits of various delivery firms (I'd like to keep my job), but I would suggest that sometimes people may be unaware of the logistical pressures companies and staff are under these days, and that to simplify the problem by stating that "X company is crap" is a tad unfair to the vast majority of front-line workers who are usually just trying to do their job under increasingly difficult circumstances - not to mention the crappy weather... :)

Guest posiedon

I ordered a small item from the Argos depot in lerwick today (first time) the item cost £15.99, the "freight" charge was £5.50 and delivery would take a week.

Needless to say, I won't be going back.

Even if you choose something outrageously pretentious that somehow marries the Nordic Tongue with a character from Star Trek, at least it's a name.

Are you saying changing the name of my humble abode to Captain Erik "Bloodaxe" Kirk Manor was pretentious?

Guest posiedon
why. if you want cheap stuff shop locally. they are not argos so they have to make money somewhere.
Do you not think I checked all the local shops?

What I wanted isn't available in Shetland.

• 1 month later...

Just a general RANT but why oh why do companies expect us to pay an extra £18.50 for second class royal mail to Shetland? Placed an order for items, ticked the standard uk option. Just been told I need to pay an the extra to recieve the rest of my items - told them that was fine I'd cancel my order and return what had been sent, strangely enough they changed their tune, but why??? Where on earth do folk think they get off making twenty quid's clear profit just because they send up here.

Any company that wanted to charge me extra for Royal Mail second class would not be getting my order assuming that they would deliver to the mainland using the same service for a lower price. Royal Mail first and second class along with standard parcels cost the same nationwide. However Parcelforce to charge extra to deliver to Shetland so suppliers are justified in charging us extra if they use them.

• 1 month later...