Companies who deliver to Shetland & Courier Agents

admin

I regularly get stuff shipped up from South and can't always dictate which haulier/courier handles it this end.

After a while you get to know which companies do their best to deliver asap, which ones hold on to deliveries and for how long, which ones just don't seem to know what's going on!

I won't go into specifics because I do work for one of these companies and have worked for others.

Guest CyprusPluto

I've had loads of things deliver (and collected) recently due to new house purchase. Most delivery companies are very good, Shetland Transport, JBT, WDA, Royal Mail to name just a few.........

.... but others are very slow. I knew of one package that arrived from England within 5 days and then took a further 7 to arrive from the local couriers.

If you buy from the mainland, most companies pick the local couriers themselves (or their couriers do) and you are at their beckon-call as to whether you get one of the better ones or not.

Although I don't work for any of these companies I regularly get items shipped up from South(most weeks) and have found that out of the four main firms, JBT, Streamline, Northwards and Shetland Transport only one has left me dissapointed consistently with their service. In general the other 3's service is much about the same, quite good if you are realistic about how long you think it should take to get deliveries up here!

Anyone know who handles 'Interparcel' up here?

Okay, still no delivery and still don't know who will be doing the actual delivering. Interparcel tell me that they use Hermes for their deliveries but I'm pretty sure Hermes don't deliver up here so it must have been sub-sub-contracted to a local firm. Anyone know who?

The parcel has been 'out for delivery' for a couple of days now after having be tracked through various depots.

Okay, still no delivery and still don't know who will be doing the actual delivering. Interparcel tell me that they use Hermes for their deliveries but I'm pretty sure Hermes don't deliver up here so it must have been sub-sub-contracted to a local firm. Anyone know who?

Streamline, see http://shetlopedia.com/Shetland_Agents_for_National_Parcel_Couriers_-_Who_Delivers_What

Of course the who delivers for who listing only applies to the Shetland mainland. My recent orders have been delivered by R. S. Henderson of Cullivoe and Ian Reid of Unst which is not too surprising as I live on Yell. The latter's delivery set out with Yodel which seems to be a new name for HDNL or a new division of HDNL and rather than showing as "out for delivery" after reaching Aberdeen showed "out for delivery" from Perth. And I have been shopping early for Christmas as I remember the problems Streamline had last year.

The only thing that we could do to complain about Streamline and their slow deliveries is to bombard the sellers who use the carriers who use Streamline with complaints. But this has a certain danger. Streamline may be slow but at least we get goods delivered at mainland prices or even for free. The sellers do have alternatives. They can slap whopping great supplements on shipping prices to Shetland or they can just join the large number of companies who say "they cannot deliver to postcodes ZE1-3" which of course means they are not prepared to pay to deliver to us.

My main complaint is not Streamline but people--Amazon marketplace sellers often do this--who will deliver to us but want to charge a surcharge (sometimes substantial) to deliver by first class mail which as we know costs the same anywhere in the UK........for the moment.

Guest posiedon
JustMe

My main complaint is not Streamline but people--Amazon marketplace sellers often do this--who will deliver to us but want to charge a surcharge (sometimes substantial) to deliver by first class mail which as we know costs the same anywhere in the UK........for the moment.

We get deliveries of meat from Orkney via Streamline, they are always on time.

The rest of your post I agree with 100%.

The really annoying companies are the ones that won't send goods here [at any price] even when the items are small enough for Royal Mail. :evil: