Companies who deliver to Shetland & Courier Agents

admin

Time to say this again. Streamline might be a bit slow (snail paced at times) and they tend to get overwhelmed at Christmas but the thing to remember is that they provide cheap services for mainland carriers who might otherwise add a huge surcharge for Shetland or simply say they do not deliver here. Even some of the free delivery suppliers might think again if costs went up.

NAILED that right on the head JustMe. This thread will go the same way as it does every year at this time! People know the score when it comes to xmas time, internet buying, couriers and buying xmas presents 2 weeks before the big day.....tends to end in tears!

NAILED that right on the head JustMe. This thread will go the same way as it does every year at this time! People know the score when it comes to xmas time, internet buying, couriers and buying xmas presents 2 weeks before the big day.....tends to end in tears!

But it isn't just Christmas time, just check the dates on this thread, it's at anytime of year. tbh they actually seem to get slightly quicker at christmas. I just object to the fact quite often I'm not given a choice.

Here are some tips for making sure you get your parcels this Xmas!

- If it needs to be signed for, ensure someone is in. If not, send items to your work address or nearby friend or relative. Easy!

- If in the country and no one is in, leave a porch or shed open if you're happy with your item to be left safe. To aid this, please add "Ok to leave safe" in any delivery/order comments when ordering.

- For private addresses consider putting the name of your house on your house! Even if it's an A4 sheet. This is very useful, especially if you're only ordering this time of year, as if in doubt the parcel will be brought back to depo.

- Specify your full address including postcode. If an address line is missed out, it can generally be determined where it is via the postcode.

- Don't rename your house, refer to it by a name no one but you knows, and if in an estate put the house number on.

- Order things now and not at the last minute. It's extremely busy just now.

- Be considerate - delivery drivers are working 12+ hours per day, often in the dark, and in snowy/icey conditions. Logistically it would be far easier if Xmas was in summer!

One thing to remember is that routine orders also get into the Christmas rush. In my case this is cheap used DVDs and various food supplements. With the latter all I need to take me well into the new year are now due to be delivered soon and as for DVDs I will probably not order any more until Christmas is past. Just leaves any sale specials but that is the sellers fault for advertising sales at this time of year.

• 3 weeks later...

Child had difficulty getting in the house after school this afternoon as some kind courier had managed to pack our porch with someone else's large heavy boxes.

Phone call to neighbour, who was very glad to find out where they were, he hasn't left the house since the weekend and had been wondering where they were. Neither myself nor neighbour drive, neighbour is unable to walk very far and it is such a beautiful night.

So please someone enlighten me is it still Ian Ried I get to thank for being so miserably cold and wet? 3 metal shelving units and several storage boxes sent by "UKMail"?

So please someone enlighten me is it still Ian Ried I get to thank for being so miserably cold and wet? 3 metal shelving units and several storage boxes sent by "UKMail"?

Yes. But depending on the situation, the driver probably thought they were doing your neighbour a favour, who would've got the items sooner than organising a re-delivery at this busy time, especially if you live outside the town.

Then there's also the issue of houses not having a name on them (driver unsure but travelled many miles), address incomplete, neighbour not in or house locked, vans/depos needing all the space they have and to capitalise on their time for current high volumes etc.

The driver picked 1 of 2 unoccupied houses in the area, if they'd asked anywhere else in one of the occupied houses including the delivery address with the house name proudly displayed on the side of the house I'm sure they could have been directed to the correct house.

Have received an apology, and they will hopefully not do it again.

Ask said before the neighbour has not left in his home for the last 4 days, not being a driver he hasn't even left to go get a pint of milk. If leaving a HEAVY delivery with a neighbour it's usually a good idea to check that's okay first.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...