Companies who deliver to Shetland & Courier Agents

admin

What we should do is all say what experiences we've had (I say we but i don't yet live there, but will shortly!) so we can work out the best companies to use on line and avoid getting ripped off by those whose shipping charges are extortionette.

For instance does anyone use Amazon, mainland they are very good, Tesco's charge of £55 seems ridiculous so surely there are better alternatives.

I am not trying to ignore local shops I just want to know what other options there are if you can't get some items locally or if they are too over priced.

We could maybe compile a top ten or something.

tesco now will send there direct stuff up her had a look at the catalogue fancy one of there 10x20 workshops.

The price for shipping a small item up here with good old tesco is £20!!! So when you look at the catalogue don't forget to add this on! The price for paulb's workshop wouls be out of this world!

I have spoken to the nice manager & he said the delivery would be free for small items if picked up from store if the new extension goes ahead, so heres hoping lol! In the mean time play & amazon are my favorite's for price & delivery to beat the money grabbing folk like clives & bolts electrical!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have just receieved my first Tesco direct order. You have to phone them to place the order, rather than place it online. Nice helpful lady on the phone. I ordered a large upright freezer, a single mattress, 2 sets of large wooden blinds, and a tall storage rack. Delivery charge £50. I think this is pretty good value considering it all came in seperate deliveries, to my door. JBT, who deliver these orders, phoned first to let me know when it would be coming. Ok, at first £50 seems quite a lot for delivery, but all in all, I had a very good service all round and I would order again.

tesco now will send there direct stuff up her had a look at the catalogue fancy one of there 10x20 workshops.

The price for shipping a small item up here with good old tesco is £20!!! So when you look at the catalogue don't forget to add this on! The price for paulb's workshop wouls be out of this world!

I have spoken to the nice manager & he said the delivery would be free for small items if picked up from store if the new extension goes ahead, so heres hoping lol! In the mean time play & amazon are my favorite's for price & delivery to beat the money grabbing folk like clives & bolts electrical!!

I was quoted £4000 for a shed from a well know shetland builders. This was very much a garden shed type structure. for the same price i can get a log cabin even if i had to pay a massive deliverly charge it would be cheaper. This is a shame i like to support local firms but thats just stupid price mark ups.

The price for shipping a small item up here with good old tesco is £20!!!

Hydro quoted me £35 to deliver an identical freezer to the one I just bought from Tesco. They had to do 20 mile down the road. I got ALL of my order for £50 from Tesco...No comparison in my eyes.

Amazon Update:

ordered four books, one from a market place seller the rest from Amazon directly

Market place sellers book arrived first in 3 days by post

2 books from amazon came by courier in 4 days

and the last one took the full 7 days (from Amazon) by post

Amazon books were all free delivery and the market place one was a very reasonable £2.75 postage

WDA delivered the courier books (think they were sent with citylink)

was quite surprised this was still covered by Amazon's free delivery!

keep on spending your money outwith Shetland and the island will lose its viability, and like the anything else that is no longer viable it will wither and die, good luck to you then when subsidies are all we will have to keep us going, fair enough if you are a parasite but for those of us that believe in looking after our own, it is a sad time.

If you want all the benefits of living sooth then please fell free to sausage off sooth, if you want the benefits that come with living in Shetland then please accept that with those benefits there comes a price. i for one am willing to pay that price.