Companies who deliver to Shetland & Courier Agents

admin

anyone know who delivers up here for Hermes? According to my tracking my parcel's up here. just no delivered yet.

I've no idea for sure, but the fact your parcel's up here and no been delivered would make me think it's Streamline :wink:. I think part of their service is to hang on to things in their depot for a few days / weeks afore delivering them... to make you all the happier your stuff has finally arrived :roll:

By far the best companies I've used are Amazon, Empire and Asda Direct.

Asda charge 9.90 per order (excluding big items, a guest bed cost nearly £40 to deliver but was still far cheaper than similar products from Lerwick) but you can order loads of stuff on an order and it's still only 9.90.

Empire are free and Amazon, as already stated, are free if from them direct, if through them charges apply but seem reasonable.

Does anybody know a good online store to buy a cheap sofabed from? I see Ikea is mentioned here as delivering to Shetland, has anybody experienced this? Are they reliable?

I did look for one locally and couldn't believe it yesterday when I went to the Bargain Centre and found it completely deserted! I was there for at least ten minutes and looked everywhere for an assistant and there was noone to be seen. I saw one chap who works there leaving just before I went in but I would have assumed there would be at least one person holding fort!!

Is there anywhere else locally who would do a reasonable priced one?

www.mattressman.co.uk deliver FREE - I've just been looking online at futons and they do have some sofabeds.

Hope this helps.

that's odd even at cost its going to cost between 20-40. so whats the catch if your buying a cheapy one. there will be one somewhere. or am i just cynical

Well, some of the models of futons I've been looking at vary between £40 and £90 cheaper elsewhere but also I've seen them at the same price elsewhere plus delivery. Must say, they were very helpful this afternoon when I telephoned asking for some swatches of material.

• 2 weeks later...

Having praised Asda Direct above I thought I needed to share this with every1. The guest bed ordered above from Asda (cat no.174-2560) stated a charge of £37.90 for delivery within 14 working days to Highlands/Islands N Ireland and remote areas. After 14 days I phoned them to see where the bed was, after a delay I was told the suppliers they use don't actually deliver to Shetland! Why they hadn't told me and waited until I phoned I have no idea, I expressed my dissatisfaction and said I would no longer take my custom to Asda as I may have guests having to sleep on the floor due to their incompetence, the lady told me she would look into how this happened, phone me the next day and send me a voucher to apologise.

Unsurprisingly I received no phone call, I did however receive a voucher for £10 TO BE SPENT IN STORE !!??! I sent an e-mail stating I would not be traveling over 170 miles to spend it, i managed to resist telling them where they could shove it!!

I have also just checked their site and the bed is still available for delivery to the islands!!

I won't shop there again and I completely withdraw my prior recommendation, thankfully Empire sell a suitable guest bed, deliver to Shetland and don't charge for the delivery.

Having praised Asda Direct above I thought I needed to share this with every1. The guest bed ordered above from Asda (cat no.174-2560) stated a charge of £37.90 for delivery within 14 working days to Highlands/Islands N Ireland and remote areas. After 14 days I phoned them to see where the bed was, after a delay I was told the suppliers they use don't actually deliver to Shetland! Why they hadn't told me and waited until I phoned I have no idea, I expressed my dissatisfaction and said I would no longer take my custom to Asda as I may have guests having to sleep on the floor due to their incompetence, the lady told me she would look into how this happened, phone me the next day and send me a voucher to apologise.

Unsurprisingly I received no phone call, I did however receive a voucher for £10 TO BE SPENT IN STORE !!??! I sent an e-mail stating I would not be traveling over 170 miles to spend it, i managed to resist telling them where they could shove it!!

I have also just checked their site and the bed is still available for delivery to the islands!!

I won't shop there again and I completely withdraw my prior recommendation, thankfully Empire sell a suitable guest bed, deliver to Shetland and don't charge for the delivery.

Report them to their local Trading Standards Officer, they deserve a slap on the wrist!

Report them to their local Trading Standards Officer, they deserve a slap on the wrist!

I tend to think that our trading standards would be interested and indeed if anyone takes your money and fails to deliver they may well be in breach of contract.

^^

I did mention to vodafone that one courier agent in Shetland handling most courier work can be slow to deliver. On one occasion I waited a week for a package that I knew was in their warehouse.

I picked up the mobile from the warehouse a few days later. I then received an invoice from vodafone for £5 delivery charge. I phoned vodafone and politely explained that I should not be charged for delivery as I collected it from the warehouse 2 days after it was due to be delivered.

Vodafone refunded my money and said they would stop their payment going to the courier as they technically were in breach of contract.

Sometimes it pays to complain calmly.

I used to make the mistake of screaming down the phone at call centre workers untill I realised that it wasnt their personal fault and that they were more helpful when you spoke calmly and politely to them.

I know its not rocket science, but it took me a lot of years to realise this.

• 1 month later...
^^

I did mention to vodafone that one courier agent in Shetland handling most courier work can be slow to deliver. On one occasion I waited a week for a package that I knew was in their warehouse.

I picked up the mobile from the warehouse a few days later. I then received an invoice from vodafone for £5 delivery charge. I phoned vodafone and politely explained that I should not be charged for delivery as I collected it from the warehouse 2 days after it was due to be delivered.

Vodafone refunded my money and said they would stop their payment going to the courier as they technically were in breach of contract.

Sometimes it pays to complain calmly.

I used to make the mistake of screaming down the phone at call centre workers untill I realised that it wasnt their personal fault and that they were more helpful when you spoke calmly and politely to them.

I know its not rocket science, but it took me a lot of years to realise this.

Having dealt with Vodafone on a corporate basis I would wholeheartedly agree with you. The individual operator didn't lose the shipment or make the mast fail so there's little point in venting at them. I am, however, getting more and more irritated with a certain delivery agent who shall remain nameless for the time being. How come you had my package for two weeks according to the tracking data before delivering it to me? A pity that the express package with a delivery surcharge to ensure quick delivery arrived a full week after I needed it. The surcharge has now been refunded by the company I purchased from, and they too have said they won't be paying the courier charges for such bad service. FYI the track data showed a signed for delivery to the local company's depot in Aberdeen 24 hours after dispatch - more than two weeks later it arrived with me.

I suppose I should be grateful it arrived at all, unlike the first package the company sent me - this was a replacement.

Shops in Lerwick are starting to react to internet selling at significantly lower prices than they retail them for (I don't know about you guys but there seems to be a shift in the customer experience for the better - small steps but it is starting), but until such a time as the one major choke point in the process starts to provide some sensible customer service then we will be still 'enjoying' higher prices and poor quality services.

• 4 weeks later...
copied from Gettin' stuff here fae sooth as I upset a Mod by posting it there!

Anyone heard of DPD Deliveries? I'm expecting a phone delivered to me and I received a text message earlier tonight (Tuesday) confirming delivery this Thursday. never heard of them though.

Anyone have any experience of them?

After a few phone calls to vodafone today, they now tell me that my phone is in shetland and the local agent will TRY to deliver it tomorrow!

They did agree however to look into using Royal Mail for there "Offshore" deliveries.

I'm waiting for some car parts to come via DPD which I ordered on Thursday. The guy said that DPD were really good, and delivery should be on either Saturday or Monday as they guaranteed delivery. Well ...

... telephoned car part supplier yesterday and got consignment tracking number and their phone number. Called DPD who said it was in Orkney, Shetland. Err, excuse me, sez I, if you look on a map you'll see that they are two different places. Proceeded to give me telephone numbers for Orkney and Shetland. "Well, I don't know, because I'm in Birmingham" - do they not teach Geography in Birmingham then?!

Phoned the Shetland number. Was told that they were DPD Couriers. Mmm, number looked familiar so at end of phone call, googled it. Ah, likkle lies - was not DPD Couriers but was SBS/Streamline. Was told that was on the boat and they checked the Manifest. However, as they have hundreds of items to unload off boat and they only have 2 boats a week, would be off boat tomorrow and then loaded onto van for driver to deliver on Wednesday. Vented my spleen. Well, perhaps you would like to come and pick it up tomorrow? Err, what time sez I? Well, they didn't know how long it would take to unpack said boat as they had hundreds of packages.

How come other courier companies can get it off boat in morning and deliver that afternoon (Northwards immediately spring to mind)? No, I can't blooming come to Lerwick and pick it up because one, I've paid £17.95 for delivery and two, my car is off the road until I get the part. Err, phone tomorrow and check that it is actually on the boat was reply.

Phoned car part peeps in Birmingham. Apparently, DPD guarantee a 3 day working delivery and if it wasn't delivered by tomorrow (meaning today), phone up and nice Brummy would have a word with their DPD Rep.

This morning - phoned number of "DPD Couriers, Lerwick" and telephone answered by a VERY HELPFUL guy who said "Streamline". Explained situation. He explained they were in a portacabin at present and would call me back within 10 minutes after checking on computer, which he did (ta very much). Again, he said they had to unload the boat (mmm, he said it come in overnight on NORTHLINK but was in Aberdeen on Friday) but had traced which pallet it was on and would ask the driver to deliver this afternoon instead of tomorrow. Mind you, I did point out prior to this that if it wasn't delivered today, said company in Birmingham would be contacting DPD.

I am beginning to wonder if Shetland is now classed as being in Outer Mongolia or Australia by several courier companies. It seems to be the ones that charge more for delivery that take the longest. My dog food comes from Hertfordshire via DHL for the reasonable cost of £4 and takes 3 days (ta very much Northwards). Other goodies come from Germany via Zooplus who also use DHL although they did recently lose one package and sent it to my old address in London in error and then it took another 7 days to get here.

Parcelforce are dire, charge the earth and take anywhere between 4 to 8 days.

Royal Mail parcels (if weighing less than 10kg it seems) have the record for me at the moment, with goods being sent from Cornwall on Friday evening and arriving at my door at 2pm on the Saturday.

It is not the Streamline drivers who have always being polite and helpful, but appears to be the logistics behind the scenes that mess things up. Naturally, if said car part does not materialise today, DPD Couriers will be getting a call and I expect a full refund. I think the motto is when ordering goods to ascertain as to which agent they sub-contract to and put pressure on the merchant to try and send via an alternative courier, if and where at all possible. Alternatively, Streamline may wish to get their house in order!

• 2 weeks later...