CHEAP (or not?) AIR FARES

dB

Well, a 25 - 33% reduction is certainly a whole lot better than a kick.....*somewhere unpleasant*.

Cheap(er) fares, yes, but Cheap fares, most certanly not.

"Selective" desciptions in advertising migrated from Arfur Daley types to Estate Agents and Ad Men some time ago, and soon thereafter to politicians, so it's pretty much par for the course....unfortunately.

And of course it is all so simple. The "fare" is the bit we pay to the airline to be flown (or sent on the boat if the weather is unsuitable for flying.) Including the fuel surcharge the total "non fare" we pay on a return flight to Aberdeen is £41.10 which is not discounted by the new scheme.

I think part of the problem is that British Airways lacks any commitment to Scotland other than the profitable shuttle services to/from London and it would not lose them a corprate nights sleep if they lost all the other "franchised" BA routes in Scotland including ours.

Boat's the one for me! You still have to pay to get down to Sumburgh, and when you land in Aberdeen, you need to get into the city center via bus or taxi. At least with boat they're both in the center of everything.

Right now, ones in the centre of Rosyth and the others in the centre of Aberdeen. Both should be in the centre of the North Sea!!

:)

Right now, ones in the centre of Rosyth and the others in the centre of Aberdeen. Both should be in the centre of the North Sea!!

:)

Ahhh, hit wis a coorse nicht da streen, d'id no been wantin t' shance cawin ony bits aff o' yun pointy ended bhut boxes, laek dey did da first wintir, seein is dir see neer ah bein clear ih dem. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

I think airfares are already far too low as it is. Flying is an environmental disaster aeroplane operators don't even pay fuel tax, they should pay a higher rate of fuel duty than for other forms of transport due to thier environmental impact.

This would serve to reduce air travel and force people to use more sustainable methods of transport or even better just not go at all and only travel when necessary.

I think for a Lib Dem minister to push for reduced air fares is at odds with thier recent green retoric, just goes to show that they are as usual saying one thing whilst doing another

I think airfares are already far too low as it is. Flying is an environmental disaster aeroplane operators don't even pay fuel tax, they should pay a higher rate of fuel duty than for other forms of transport due to thier environmental impact.

This would serve to reduce air travel and force people to use more sustainable methods of transport or even better just not go at all and only travel when necessary.

I think for a Lib Dem minister to push for reduced air fares is at odds with thier recent green retoric, just goes to show that they are as usual saying one thing whilst doing another

Maybe the place to start then is with pleasure and holiday charter flights, all of which are luxuries, rather than the unfortunate and undesirable facts of life in accessing civilisation from a mid ocean rock. Given the recent "expert" opinion that the only viable alternative, the north boats, are an enviornmental disaster, I think there's plenty of room to argue that a handful of flights in a day by old Saab turboprops are the lesser of the two evils.

turrifield wrote

Let me start by saying that the only green thing about the Northlink alternative is the faces of the seasick passengers.

That said it is right to question the growth in air travel from a pollution point of view. Not only from the fuel burned but also from the noise. While it seems likely that the airlines will be using larger more fuel efficient aircraft in the future, I think that passengers have to be sold on the alternatives which, for most of Europe means trains or, for business travel, video links.

Sadly while the USA continues with the policy of unrestricted use of fuel any measures taken in Europe will have a limited effect on the global warming issue.

Boat's the one for me! You still have to pay to get down to Sumburgh, and when you land in Aberdeen, you need to get into the city center via bus or taxi. At least with boat they're both in the center of everything.

We don't all come from Lerwick JAS. Sumburgh is far handier for me when I'm going home.

And I also have very little interest in being anywhere near the centre of Aberdeen.

A cheap, direct flight from Glasgow to Sumburgh would be my ideal scenario.

Maybe the place to start then is with pleasure and holiday charter flights, all of which are luxuries, rather than the unfortunate and undesirable facts of life in accessing civilisation from a mid ocean rock. Given the recent "expert" opinion that the only viable alternative, the north boats, are an enviornmental disaster, I think there's plenty of room to argue that a handful of flights in a day by old Saab turboprops are the lesser of the two evils.

I have never read anything that says air travel is the best method. It may be that a flight from Shetland to the mainland uses less fuel than the boat but that is not quite the full picture. The plane carries about 30 people (I'm not sure it's been so long), luggage and some mail where as the boat carries up to 200 people(?), cars, livestock and all the rest of the cargo to move in and out of Shetland. So that taken into accounrt the boat will always be better. The plane also releases it's pollutants higher up in the atmosphere and therefore does more damage.

The boat could be made more efficient and I welcomed the report into the efficiency of the boat. I just hope that it is acted upon.

I would just ask for anybody that is planning a trip no matter how long or short to choose the methods of transport least damaging to the environment even if it does take longer.

e.g. In McFly's case the train from Glasgow to Aberdeen then the bost to Lerwick followed by the bus to the south end. It would take about 20 hours instead of about 4 hours by plane but these are the choices we have to make.

We, the people, of the Rock of all Rocks, i think do have a need for cheap flights. I know planes are exceedingly cack for the environment etc, but i have to say, when you have travelled all day to get to aberdeen, and then face another twelve hours on the blooming tub...i would rather fly. Sorry, but i would.

The only reason i don't is beacause even though BA "have" cheap fares to Shetland (allegedly you can get there for £79rtn - ???) - I have never been able to get a flight for cheaper as £109rtn. Thats even flying mid-week, booking three years in advance and paying for it by the light of a full moon when Venus is in the fourth house etc etc etc. It's IMPOSSIBLE!

I also think that for folks travelling we peerie bairns an hours flight, as opposed to sheshtin your bairns round the boat for twelve hours, is a necessary option. Anyhoo, the blissed flights will never happen anyhoo, it will take the cooncil and BA at LEAST fifteen years and six reports to discuss feasibility studies...so we are safe, and skint, for the meantime! :roll: