Wheelie bins?

tlady

Wheelie bins - will you use  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Wheelie bins - will you use

• Yes
    • No
    • Not practical

Some of us take pride in house an I def don't want ugly wheelies lying about!

Surely though, you would only be putting your wheelie bin out on the morning the essy kert was due and taking it in again at the end of the day?

Well that is certainly not what happens in some English cities where the pavements are blocked by wheelie bins seven days a week. Am sure there must be some law about obstructing the pavements with the things but not all councils enforce it.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont really understand why the council provides free black bags either..and free recycling bags mabye its time this stopped, aberdeen council certaintly didnt give me any free bags in the 3 yrs i stayed there
Why oh why did the council not cut out the free refuse bags completely at the start of the money saving plans?. Over the years I have given a good half of mine to friends who produce more rubbish than me and I know of one person who has sent SIC bags to a relative in a country known as England!. I mean how daft is that?.

even if you do put your bin out on collection day and take it in again, where do u put it? they look ugly almost everywhere, so only way to tidy them up is to make a wee shed for them to sit in.

litter strewn streets are not caused by not having wheelie bins but by stupid folk! whos gonna clean the bins? they get pretty manky and attract vermin and wasps when not kept clean

if the council wanna save money, cut the free bags, 2 weekly collections and lose a cpl of bin crews. i dont want that but it would save money, but binmen lose there jobs...meanwhile a consultant for the councils dreams up another stupid way to save some money!

It's probably escaped your notice thus far, but it looks like The Council already has, at least, 3 Essy Kerts with the gubbins to handle Wheely Bins - They're already using them in Lerwick, and South, and probably other places too.

Yes, we've noticed - it would have been nice to have at least been asked, even "told" before they were just unceremoniously dumped upon us round here. Quite apart from the racket made emptying the damn wheelie bins surpasses a piano smashing contest in full swing.

A bad idea, compounding an already pre-esisting bad idea round here - either/or would have be tolerable, but both is just un-necessarily complicating what could have been simple, and is highly irritating.

Yeah, financial sense it may make on paper, but for the service user in many cases the aggrivation far outweighs the saving in CT. Unloading a few paper-shuffling middle management and adopting logical joined up thinking Admin procedures would have saved a lot more, and would have left the physical operation unaffected.

I'm not sure how collecting twice the rubbish in half the time would be at all possible? And how would that work with the Waste to Energy plant?

Fortnightly collections only "saved" money South while the Govt. financially incentivised recycling rates, and they were seen as a way of pushing folk to recycle more, many Local Authorities South are backtracking and have brought back weekly collections.

I think if you have a bin now, it's your responsibility. If The Council doled out more, I'd imagine they'd still be your responsibility. I'm fairly sure you don't hold The Council responsible for the upkeep of your free bin bags once you get them?

And yes, stupid people ARE the cause of most of the mess. But buying a bin is a solution to the problem. You don't have to be too clever to figure it out, and the results can't be argued with.

As for the aesthetics of the bin, and purely on a personal note, I'd rather see wheely bins on our road for a few hours every day than drifts of litter that no-one takes responsibility for. But that's my preference, and I can only speak for myself.

Wheely bins work very well here. They have reduced injury to the bin men when they have to bend down to pick up a bag they do not know the weight of. Add to that the bag splitting and spilling its contents over the paths, add as well the pest that is the seagull, dog and cat that used to rip the bags.

If you are in need of help, the bin men will get your bin from a designated point.

They do take a bit of getting used to, with the need of councils to recycle, having chipped wheely bins have been a boon as they instantly record landfill costs or what is going to the burner.

Something to get used to.

Is there anything the Shetlink crew wont complain about?
Free booze?.

:lik:

Who are the Shetlink crew? :wink:

I detest wheelie bins with a passion. Down sarf many a time I braked on my motorcycle to dodge one that had got blown down the road - the bin men had a habit of not returning them to the 'inside boundary', would inevitably leave them where the gate would normally close and hence GoogleEarth is now plastered with unsightly wheelie bins with house nos. painted on 'em.

I think I posted previously that they can't force you to have wheelie bins; provided your rubbish is in a suitable container/bag, isn't it still the case that any Local Authority is obliged to collect said rubbish?

They change the rules, they will not pick up side rubbish, any rubbish not in bin does not get collected, if it causes an obstruction for a certain length of time or is left out on the high way the householder could be fined.

It is the way to go at the moment, your protests will not really stop it.

Anyhow, what has the Scottish Aquaculture Research Forum got to do with this forum and wheely bins?

The wind in Shetland blows bin bags all over the place, they are a bit harder to secure, yet a wheely bin is far easier to secure and without the trip hazard that is old nets, and the heavy weights that hold them in some cases.

The wind here used to blow stuff all over the place. So Shetland is not alone.

The one problem I have seen with wheely bins was in Skelmersdale, a quaint ex mining town in Lancashire, one was used to gain access to a property, good if you lost your keys, no good if you are on holidays.

Wheely bin technology can weigh the rubbish in it, it works out trends and if the bin is tagged to your address, as it could be it can be used to monitor recycling habits. If your bin has a number embossed on it and had a black or grey button on the underside of the handle, it is one of those.

It is an interesting topic, it seems rubbish on here is often talked (about) :wink: