1. 1. Wheelie bins - will you use

• Yes
    • No
    • Not practical

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had those introduced here, and along with it a whole load of rules about what you can and cannot put in them, where you can put, when, how far open the lid is, and if you break those rules, big big fines..

And of course, your lmited in the amount, so if you happen to have a something large to get rid of, you better get a hacksaw to cut it up..

Our local council here in London Ealing did eventually see sense in one tiny area and allow for free freezer/fridge collection instead of charging £15 an item.

But they refuse to listen anymore about the other issues. :-(

The wheely bins seem a good idea in principal, but they would need to be anchored to the walls with the wind that you guys get. Then the bin men would be under obligation to re-anchor them once theyd emptied them. Cant see dem bin men (or women of course) taking kindly to that idea. The Shetland News cartoon seems to be suggesting that a new council head has taken this baby all the way from Edinburghe.

But they refuse to listen anymore about the other issues. :-(

Make it an "issue" the next time those who are ultimately responsible (the councillors) want your vote. After all, you pay them (via your Council Tax etc.) to take your rubbish away and, within reason, they should not be permitted to dictate terms.

Wheelie bins, for me anyway, would be a problem especially as I have no storage space, a fairly narrow path and, 5 steps to negotiate before I reach the pavement. A not uncommon scenario in these parts.

Guest Anonymous

Our local council here in London Ealing did eventually see sense in one tiny area and allow for free freezer/fridge collection instead of charging £15 an item.

I wonder why the same system doesn't apply in Britain, as in Norway. Retailers take back obsolete appliances and arrange for their disposal, as far as I can see free of charge.

And before you say it's included in the sale price, most electrical appliances are cheaper here.

I wonder why the same system doesn't apply in Britain, as in Norway. Retailers take back obsolete appliances and arrange for their disposal, as far as I can see free of charge.

And before you say it's included in the sale price, most electrical appliances are cheaper here.

it does it comes under weee directive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste_Electrical_and_Electronic_Equipment_Directive

The Shetland News cartoon seems to be suggesting that a new council head has taken this baby all the way from Edinburghe.

A 'new council broom' was behind wheely bins the last time they were suggested, some years ago. They were voted a NO NO at the time and should be again this time, if we get the chance.

Nothing really to stop them.

Though some councils are turning the CCTV camera system to the job of catching such people, and with rubbish inspectors out early in the morning to check peoples bin contents, I'm sure it wouldn't be long before someone got caught and fined..

There is also a weight limit too, though not a real weight limit, as its down to the binmen to decide if your bin is too heavy or not, and if so, they refuse to empty it!

Not all retailers will actually collect an old item, and if your new item is in fact a second hand item, then your stuck with it.

And with our local tip not accepting rubbish taken in by hand, you need a car, and even then, if its on the banned list, you can forget about dumping it..

Though some councils are turning the CCTV camera system to the job of catching such people, and with rubbish inspectors out early in the morning to check peoples bin contents, I'm sure it wouldn't be long before someone got caught and fined..

This is awesomely ridiculous on first reading but, looking again, we've reached a point where it has become important, somehow, to someone, that we police a person's rubbish. This is interesting in what it says about our profligate ways.

Or such.