Blueprint for education consultation

righter

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I so agree.

And the important thing is that we don't let the detructive proposals in the blueprint allow our communities to start fighting among each other, as was clearly intended.

If we want Shetland to continue to be a community made up of many smaller communities, we have a duty to support that.

If, on the other hand, we don't care if we are indistinguishable from any more urban settlement, by all means go ahead and destroy our rural communities. After all, we've had an "excellent" education, perhaps it doesn't matter if our children do not get access to the same. Don't listen to what the teachers, parents and pupils are telling you. All hail the Blueprint proposals. And of course, the statistics they give you at the meetings are bound to be accurate, because they say so. What more reassurance could you possibly want? Sleep well.

The Western Isles are planning a massive cull of primary schools

Island primary school numbers could be halved

The number of primary schools in the Western Isles could be cut by almost a half, if proposals being considered by councillors are implemented.

Comhairle nan Eilean Siar has been forced into the move by a lack of money, falling schools rolls, and buildings no longer fit for purpose.

That could mean four primary schools left in Lewis from Tolsta to North Lochs and three from Ness to Carloway.

It would also leave just two in Harris and six in the whole of Uist and Barra.

The projection is to have 19 primary schools in eight years' time instead of the existing 36, and four secondary schools, saving more than £2m.

Heard tonight that there are 93 staff employed at hayfield house :shock: What do these people all do ? do you know ? Do THEY ?

Its high time this bureaucratic monster was cut down to size and IT was made fit for purpose.

At the Aith Blueprint for Education meeting the Facilitator at our table said, when we raised this point, that a good percentage of those employed at Hayfield House work in Social Care and aren't directly related to the education system.

There was no conclusion really, they were just there to take people's opinions. They should all be on the website within a week and even if you didn't get to attend you can still send in the forms with your opinions on it. I can't recall the website address (and I'm indisposed at the moment so I can't get up to look for it), but I'll dig it out later.

From the South Mainland:

Secondary number at Sandwick are already on a par with Brae, if you show like for like and include the pupils who got to AHS for their highers. Additionally sixty new houses being built in Sandwick alone, suggests that unlike reductions in school population elsewhere there may shortly be a boom there. Apparently SIC can't take this into consideration as their planning is based on past statistics and they can't/wont use future projections. The feeling that if a high school is viable in the north then it should also be viable in the south. Perhaps suggesting to many the possibilty of bias in favour of the north mainland. Any further reduction in employment status in the South Mainland would be disastrous.

Dunrossness, Sandwick and Cunningsburgh are all shown to be amongst the lowest cost schools in Shetland!

If it ain't broke.........................?

the kids informed me that there are plans to down grade skeld to a one teacher school.

how can one teacher prepare and carry out a lession for 4-12 year olds possible if you had 4 or 5 but there will be 17. is this part of there plan to wreck the school before the consultation and goverment oks there plan.

i dont want my children getting taught in such a large age mix. so it could be either waas or aith. maybe that is what they plan.