Unoriginal I know but thinking of moving to the Shetlands

splodger

I'm a 30 something man fed up with life on the outskirts of London and am seriously considering moving to the Shetlands in a few years time when I have saved enough to buy a little house.

I was wondering if local employment is easy to get, how easy it is to fit into the community and what life's like in general,

any input is welcome

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... to the Shetlands

first piece of advice; Shetland Islands, not Shetlands.

... to the Shetlands too.

Second piece of advice; Shetland Islands, not Shetlands.

Actually it would be interesting to hear from you just why people continually make this error? Is it because of "The Falklands" or what? Nobody ever says "The Englands," or "The Scotlands," so why "The Shetlands"?

My advice to anyone wanting to move to the Shetland Islands..Go ahead do it...

I moved here 17 months ago and dont regret it one bit....The lifestyle is something to be envied...where else can you be where you dont have to lock your cars and doors...The views are to die for and there is always something different to see every day as the weather changes so quickly here..

The folks are friendly and make you most welcome and personally speaking I have been overwhelmed at the kindness shown to my son ...

Or just a general desire to shorten things.

Then how about the usual name which is simply "Shetland" without the islands bit. Sorry to appear grumpy (I'm not, just bewildered) but it amazes me that people would simultaneously be at the stage of considering moving somewhere, yet not be aware of the correct naming.

When it becomes acceptable to call the Channel Isles the Channels and the Western Isles the Westerns we'll think about allowing ourselves to be called the Shetlands, meantime it's "Shetland", singular. Like any prized collection, we have a singular title for our entirity, take heed, lest you wish to remain extremely conspicious. :wink:

Returning to the OP, rather than regurgitate the same old responses which are presented everytime this general topic is raised, I would recommend searching Shetlink for the various threads where most of the pros and cons have been posted.

Specifically with respect to the following I will relate a tale from earlier this evening:

how easy it is to fit into the community
... excessive windspeeds.

As I write, the wind is battering Lerwick and the house is shaking. Not quite like the Avatar image (those are real waves) but it was worrying because I had not got my boat into her winter storage place yet. When she started to move I headed down to the beach to deal with the situation. Shortly a group passed by and instantly offered to shift the boat to the winter space. This group was an Up Helly Aa squad and included a classic classless cross section of local society (including Shetlink's own PB) both locals and also from south. It seemed to me to sum up perfectly the whole community thing at its best.

Shortly a group passed by and instantly offered to shift the boat to the winter space. This group was an Up Helly Aa squad and included a classic classless cross section of local society (including Shetlink's own PB) both locals and also from south. It seemed to me to sum up perfectly the whole community thing at its best.
...and cheers again for the case of beer EM :wink:

Already been mentioned but it might be worth looking at the other threads on here that ask similar questions.

Wanting to move to Shetland

Really want to move to the island of Yell

Is Shetland a nice place to live

Moving over next year, any advice please

Should I live in Brae

New addition

Wanted - House to rent or buy

What's it like living in Shetland?

Are you considering a move to France

Why do people come to Shetland?

Housing in Shetland

Moving

Moving to Unst

Moving from or to Shetland

On our way

Best way to move?

There are probably others and no doubt many could do with being merged but it might help to give you a general idea so that you can ask more specific questions.