Unoriginal I know but thinking of moving to the Shetlands

splodger

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes he (not me) still cycles nearly every time he's working. For the "overseas" people though, he is Scottish time trial champion over a range of distances ;)

He was saying a couple of weeks ago he was a bit worried about the trip back down, with the 45mph crosswinds though.......

Cycling is do-able, depending how "dedicated" you are.

It'd make more sense as a 3 or 4 days a week in the summer option for shorter distances though, with the other days travelling by bus or getting a lift, and travelling more that way as it came on to winter.

Well, they could certainly do with later buses to the rural areas on Friday / Saturday nights. Even if they charged twice the normal fare it would still be a success as it would be cheaper than a taxi.

A splendid idea! Cheapest taxi I can get home efter a night oot in toon is £50, have seen it be as high as £120! :shock: (although we did go a little off the beaten track that night!)

Well hubby and I are still coming to Shetland (he has a job lined up and I'm self employed). Good grief, we've actually moved up the housing waiting list - someone pass me a large alcohol drink because I nearly died from the shock.

Any tips on removal companies/sell everything we've got/lob everything in a freight crate (contents of 1 bed flat)?

London to Shetland with two shar pei in tow should be an experience ...

Any tips on removal companies/sell everything we've got/lob everything in a freight crate (contents of 1 bed flat)?

London to Shetland with two shar pei in tow should be an experience ...

We found the best/cheapest option when we moved up from Cornwall was to buy a large van load in what we could then sell/give away what we couldn't fit inside the van & car.

Once we got here & settled in we sold the van so our overall moving costs where minimal compared to a removal/shipping company.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers Jim

Cheers Jim but I whilst we intend buying a second-hand car once in Shetland, I haven't driven in about 20 years - I did learn to drive in London and weather aside, feel okay about driving in Shetland (I'm 100% sure it won't be the mad driving experienced at, for example, Old Street roundabout in London LOL), I don't feel confident enough to drive a van all the way from London.

Can see the advantages with your suggestion though. On second thoughts, if you want to drive it for us ..

Can see the advantages with your suggestion though. On second thoughts, if you want to drive it for us ..

You got plenty of money :):):) and make good bacon butties

Ooooh define 'plenty' - we are not loaded LOL. Mmm, bacon butties - prefer sausage sarnies meself ...