Shetland Pool Association

Siffy

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest dabuoyfaedanort

Whats everyones experience with the Shetland Pool Association? Has anyone ever come across any difficulties with them? My personal experience is snobbery. Why does teams have to pay £100 entry fee to become involved in the league system? Where does the money go?

(***Mod Edit - Merged with existing thread***)

Team Fees go towards the running costs of the league.

So things like Trophy Engraving, Trophy and Memento purchasing this includes a memento for each player in the 3 x winning teams, 3 x half way cup winning teams, 7 x open singles events, 1 x ladies single event 2 x ladies league events, mixed doubles, doubles and 4 a side team event, website costs, advertising, and office bearers receive honerary payments for all the work they put into the running of it.

You dont think it runs itself or that running costs are free do you ?

Personally I put in on average about 2 hours a week to the running of this league( and i'm not even an Office Bearer ), which include updating the webby, writting the submitted reports to the paper, sorting out the singles comps assisting with the running of the singles competitions, keeping the tables up to date.

Add to this assisting to organise the Island Black Ball Association so players from Shetland can go and play Pool against Players from other small nations, attending committee meeting etc.

There is a handfull of folk who can be bothered to get off their backsides and put time and dedication into organising the smooth running of the league and other events so people like yourself (i presume you play in a team) can turn up and play so excuse me if I personnally find your comments on "Snobbery" a bit insulting, but if could you elaborate on what you mean by snobbery it might help.

Guest dabuoyfaedanort
Team Fees go towards the running costs of the league.

So things like Trophy Engraving, Trophy and Memento purchasing this includes a memento for each player in the 3 x winning teams, 3 x half way cup winning teams, 7 x open singles events, 1 x ladies single event 2 x ladies league events, mixed doubles, doubles and 4 a side team event, website costs, advertising, and office bearers receive honerary payments for all the work they put into the running of it.

You dont think it runs itself or that running costs are free do you ?

Personally I put in on average about 2 hours a week to the running of this league( and i'm not even an Office Bearer ), which include updating the webby, writting the submitted reports to the paper, sorting out the singles comps assisting with the running of the singles competitions, keeping the tables up to date.

Add to this assisting to organise the Island Black Ball Association so players from Shetland can go and play Pool against Players from other small nations, attending committee meeting etc.

There is a handfull of folk who can be bothered to get off their backsides and put time and dedication into organising the smooth running of the league and other events so people like yourself (i presume you play in a team) can turn up and play so excuse me if I personnally find your comments on "Snobbery" a bit insulting, but if could you elaborate on what you mean by snobbery it might help.

Hi Siffy

Firstly I apologise if I caused any offence, it wasnt my objective to do so, I was mearly stating my experiences with the person or people I spoke with and the stories Ive heard. My explanation of snobbery is when asking about entering a team in the league from Yell I was told we could not play our home games in Yell, and they were quite rude about it when I asked why. This is meant to be the Shetland Pool Association, yet all games must be played on the mainland. I also know someone was dismissed from the committee because they purchased a drink for someone, half an hour before they were 18, two years previous.

Back to the financial side, I am not involved, and refused to be involved in the competitions, so I am only looking from an outsiders point of view. Why £100 per team? If there is 37 or so teams, thats £3700 per year. Plus entry fees for competitions such as your singles events, doubles events foursome events knockout cups etc. Cup engraving doesnt cost that much. Plus money for the people that run it? I would have though this kind of venture should be voluntary. How do you assist players going abroad playing other players. Folk have to pay their travel costs themselves.

We assist playing in national/international comps by paying the affiliation fees and team entry fees, as far as i know we also pay for accommodation for the teams that enter the Intercounty.

So on yearly basis we have affiliation fees to IBA and EBA plus this year 4 x team fees to IBA and 4 x team fees to EBA.

The way the teams are picked for the above are different for the men and women, the women have two leagues a summer one and a winter one, and depending on their performance in these leagues are they then picked for the A team or B team, the mens teams are picked from how they perform in the singles comps through out the year, and when picking the teams they start at the top ranked and work the way down, not all th emen go to both comps, so especially for the IBA some of the lower ranked men a get a chance to make the teams and have the oppertunity to play in an international squad. Every pool player in Shetland has the cvhance to be selected for the teams if they play in the singles comps and receive some sort of ranking throughout the year.

As for the other comment, well rumours and gossip can change how the actual events happened but as a committee member i cant comment any further than that on said event.

I also cant recall any team from Yell submitting an application to become members of the SPA. Why dont you do the same as the UNST team and enter the team competitions this year and see how that goes, also remember the committee slighty changes every year, so the committee who is in this year may look at an application from a Yell team slighty different, actually not sure if that would be a committee desision but maybe it would be an AGM desision where all teams would get a vote on wether you could play your home games in Yell or not, unfortunalty its to late for this season.

• 2 years later...

would there be a big demand for a proper pool hall in lerwick? as i have the chance to lease a property that i think would be perfect im really keane to get things going as soon as possible. would hold about 5/6 pool tables and would need a bar licence but just want peoples thoughts would there be enough members each year to keep the place running? lust want to hear from players and also the Shetland Pool Association

would there be a big demand for a proper pool hall in lerwick?

Maybe, the legion has a pool hall.

It all comes down to your outlay (premises, business rates), and how many people you'd need playing per day to make it work / turn a reasonable profit, and if you could secure the support of the pool association for finals or cups that would help.

A bar license may be hard to get and would limit the age group. Plus alcohol and pool tables don't mix with the damage caused by drunkenness and spillage! So perhaps also aiming it at families might set you apart, and having other things like arcade machines, air hockey etc. could widen appeal.

The vast majority of teams have there entry fee paid by the venue, club or pub they play in. This is because the revenue from midweek games is worth it for the most part.

The entry fee has stayed the same for years and is not a barrier to entry.

I looked at a pool hall possibility in Lerwick years ago and figured it couldn't work on its own - it would need a substantial bar take to make it work

Re Yell - agree with comment about why don't you apply to enter the team competitions first and see how that can work. Is there a late enough ferry to get teams back out if there were regular league games finishing at say 11 pm or later each time? Personaly, while I sympathise with your situation, it would be unrealistic to expect all SPA teams to fork out for transport to Yell for league games - however as Siffy says, put in an application or letter and let the discussion start.