Seal Slaughter

nederlander

Brian, I would strongly argue that I am not confusing cruelty and efficiency. In fact, I'm not quite sure how you've come to that conclusion at all. I would say that to inflict death is not in itself cruel, but to knowingly inflict suffering is. This is why you would use a humane killer to kill a lamb, rather than some slow, painful method.

(Now, clearly some people will say that to kill any animal at all, for whatever reason, is 'cruel', and if that is your point then I suppose I would have to concede that we are unlikely to find common ground on this, either ideologically or semantically.)

To try and clarify...if I found a rabbit that was suffering from myxomatosis I would knock it on the head to put it out of its misery. I'd do that because I think that hitting something on the head is a quick and hopefully painless way to kill it. That would not, I assume, be cruel from your perspective, no? So the act of hitting something on the head to kill it is not inherently a cruel act. Unlike, for instance, skinning something alive. Do you agree?

If so then the cruelty you are highlighting presumably is a matter of intention, motive or mindset, ie, the fact that Mr Stewart had no defensible reason for killing the animals. I am guessing (and correct me if I'm wrong) that you wouldn't call an Inuit hunter cruel for killing a seal to eat, no?

Well if I have read this right then we do indeed disagree only on the matter of the definition of cruelty. I define it a deliberately inflicting suffering (as does my dictionary), and using that definition I would say that this act we're discussing does not qualify. I can think of several words I would use to describe it, but cruel is just not one of them.

Your comment about the history of the 20th century is a bit of a cheap shot, which is easy to do on a forum like this but isn't the kind of argument you'd choose to use face to face. I presume you're not accusing me of being some kind of nazi sympathiser because I fail to be horrified by somebody killing seals? The word 'cruelty' certainly becomes more complex within the context of killing people, but that isn't really the subject of this thread, so I'll just leave it at that.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hang on a sec.

it was said in court and no one argued that the pups had inhaled blood which was evidence they hadn't died straight away.

so what's all this about no cruelty?

seems as tho if a animal died of being systematic beating to death instead of one mighty blow that seems cruel to me.

but thankfully I'm not an expert on cruelty which seems to me a matter of viewpoint.

funny thing is JJS is a big lad and you'd think if he wanted to hit something with a fencepost he'd kill it straight off.

especially a seal pup.

or 20.

>>At the moment of death no further "cruelty" can possibly be performed, therfor if death was immediate, when did the alleged "cruelty" occur?

Maybe Ghostrider would like to volunteer as a guinea-pig?

"He who resorts to personal insults has just lost the debate".

hang on a sec.

it was said in court and no one argued that the pups had inhaled blood which was evidence they hadn't died straight away.

so what's all this about no cruelty?

seems as tho if a animal died of being systematic beating to death instead of one mighty blow that seems cruel to me.

I don't recall reading that "fact" in the various reports of the case published online by both Shetland News and The Shetland Times.

Sorry JAStewart?

“Nay; abilityâ€

Are you implying that’s something for the human race to be proud off. I was just pointing out that maybe we have come to the end of the line. And that in the natural evolution of any species that ours may be meant to end over the next 100 years and something better is due to replace us.

If you accept that everything in the universe is made of atoms and some are still arguing about it. Then our universe might be just a small atom in someone’s bedside cabinet. And just because we can’t hear a cow or a pig speak, that does not mean that they can’t think for them selves , It’s just that we are arrogant enough to think otherwise. And that arrogance may well be our own undoing

don't listen to rumour and always check your facts. :oops:

It is always nice to see people clarifying misunderstandings. Personally I do indeed listen to rumours, AND try to check whether the rumoured information is true or not ;-).

^^done some checking online and with a friend up there and your right and I'm wrong, it seems GR.

learned a lesson today.

don't listen to rumour and always check your facts. :oops:

that'll learn me to open me gob.

No bother, it could as easily have been the boot on the other foot. The media unfortunately isn't always to be relied upon to get it right, or tell the full story.

The Countryfile report was an interesting and balanced report on the situation regarding the control of seal populations by the salmon industry. One thing that was perhaps a little misleading was the salmon farmers representative displaying a photo of a seal hauled out on a cage walkway in a manner said to stress and ultimately kill hundreds, even thousands of fish through stress, but the seal in question appeared to be hauled out on an empty cage with no nets, predator or otherwise, visible. :wink:

Tour operators in the featured area providing anecdotes of how the seals had disappeared from areas where farms had been located can only be echoed here, for whatever reason and whether right or wrong. The predator net shown, "stronger than steel", as a potential solution would presumably be made of a dynon type material and as such may be effective but also very expensive. The sonic scarers might be also be effective, but would need to compare favourably with the cost of a rifle and some bullets if competing on a level playing field under current legislation. :?:

The sonic scarers might be also be effective, but would need to compare favourably with the cost of a rifle and some bullets if competing on a level playing field under current legislation. :?:

If the acoustic scarers work, they are better than a marksman, because they run 24/7 (assuming the batteries are kept charged) However, I seem to remember something about environmental groups not being keen on the seal scarers because they also affect cetaceans.