DHI Parcels

Para Handy

Can any one tell me who is the contractor in Shetland who picks up parcels on behalf of DHL

After a phone call to day on the third day of waiting for a pick up and two many phone calls

(only to be told that a van had to come all the way from Glasgow to pick it up) was hoping to give it to the contractor my self the next time I am in Lerwick

How do the carriers actually get paid when something is ordered from a UK mainland supplier? If I bought something from, say John Lewis, a courier delivers to the ferry at Aberdeen, it is then carried across by Northlink and it is then delivered to me buy the likes of Streamline or Northward. That is 3 individual companies involved in the journey. Who pays who?

How do the carriers actually get paid when something is ordered from a UK mainland supplier? If I bought something from, say John Lewis, a courier delivers to the ferry at Aberdeen, it is then carried across by Northlink and it is then delivered to me buy the likes of Streamline or Northward. That is 3 individual companies involved in the journey. Who pays who?

It very probably varies from situation to situation and how individual companies choose to do business, but the usual form for such things is that the initial courier will have a contract with the sender, and that subsequent couriers used will be sub contractors to the initial courier or to each other in a descending pecking order.

Nothing to stop the sender having seperate contracts with numerous different couriers for the duration of the journey either though, its just that most senders would rather not have to deal with that hassle, and generally leave it up to the courier they're contracted to to sort out and pay any others necessary further along the journey.

Most likely scenario in your example, John Lewis hires courier A, courier A delivers to docks, hires and pays Northlink, Northlink in turn hire and pay Northwards, Streamline or whoever.

Thanks, Ghostrider.

There would certainly need to be 3 separate invoices (or part of bulk invoices) with 3 individual accounts offices getting involved to check and 3 signatures to be obtained etc. When one places an order, you just don't think of these matters.

I had a yellow slip through my door on Monday from Northwards which said that they had tried to deliver to me and that they had taken my parcel back to their base and I was to contact them on the number given to arrange redelivery. (Yellow slip means it came through DHL).

When I phoned the guy told me that they would not be delivering in my area again until next Monday - a whole week after the first attempt! It's not as if I live in the back of beyond - it's only Scalloway.

So I said that I would pick it up from their base instead. When I got there after work yesterday the guy spent 20 minutes looking for it in a container and then told me that he couldn't find it! He said that he didn't know where it was but that they would probably find it before next Monday and deliver it then!!

This is terrible service - just where is my parcel??? :x :x :x Northwards shouldn't get away with this poor level of service.

Northwards are very poor, went to get quotes from them to get items delivered up from aberdeen. I may as well of been a bug on the desk as far as they were concerned, went to Shetland transport and all though they were roughly £5 an item dearer I choose them due to their helpfulness

This is terrible service - just where is my parcel??? :x :x :x Northwards shouldn't get away with this poor level of service.

I pay extra so that I know Northwards are delivering my stuff rather than Streamline. At least I know northwards will try and deliver to the right address, not to some random out building belonging to an empty property in a five mile radius. I thought it was just because we bide out in the stix but the stories I hear about Streamline fae da toon...

I pay extra so that I know Northwards are delivering my stuff rather than Streamline. At least I know northwards will try and deliver to the right address, not to some random out building belonging to an empty property in a five mile radius. I thought it was just because we bide out in the stix but the stories I hear about Streamline fae da toon...

Got to agree with this.

Northwards might be shoddy with their delivery times but at least they deliver to the right address.

I was expecting delivery of a suite by streamline after it being sat with them for over a week I was eventually told what day they would be delivering (they have delivered to my house several times in the past) Only on the specified day to see them drive straight past my house.

After several phone calls they finally admitted they had delivered to the wrong house turns out they had just dumped my suite in someone else's out building. TOSSERS.