Naturism

What is your view on naturism?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your view on naturism?

• Heck yeah, let it all hang out!
    • Go for it, but please not in public; join a group of like-minded individuals, or head to a nudist beach.
    • Wrong, wrong, wrong! Confine it to the bathroom or the bedroom.

More jail time for naked rambler

A man known as the naked rambler has been jailed for 12 months after being convicted of a breach of the peace.

Stephen Gough, 49, was brought into the dock at Glasgow Sheriff Court on Wednesday wearing no clothes or shoes.

He was arrested at the same court last month after attempting to leave the building naked, following an acquittal for breach of the peace.

The former marine, from Eastleigh in Hampshire, has twice walked naked from Land's End to John O'Groats.

During his appearance, Gough told the court that if members of the public were offended by his nakedness then the problem was with them and not with him.

He has spent most of the past two-and-a-half years in prison at an estimated cost to the taxpayer of more than £200,000.

I think what I find most offensive about this is the cost to the taxpayer. Is jail the correct solution? Methinks not.

Shetland's climate rather puts pay to any debate on the matter, but imagine Shetland with Mediterranean temperatures. I think there could be beaches and areas for people who wished to go nude. Unfortunately we've been brought up in an environment where nudity in public is a taboo subject, otherwise I might say go for it!

Just remembered being in Cannes in the late 90s, and being accosted by a security guard in a supermarket. I eventually managed to suss out what he was saying. Turned out he wanted me to button up my shirt. Seemingly it's okay to go topless on the beaches, but not on the street or in the shops (this applies [or applied then] to both men and women).

Why don't they give the naturist community service up here in the winter :twisted:

I first thought you meant "give the naturist-community, service up here" (which seemed a bit :shock:), rather than "give the naturist a community-service sentence." Mind you Ivan seems to be providing a service to the community.

My Dad told me there used to be naturist club in Shetland in the 1930's. I think they used to meet at what is now the Westings Hotel. It's not something that I've ever heard about anywhere else.

It's about 8 and a half miles north of Lerwick, been there a few times myself. Surprised you haven't heard about it. :twisted:

£200 grand? I would like to know where they have plucked this figure from. Some of that could of course be legal fees and such like but if it is costing £200 000 quid to house a prisoner for two and a half years then it is time we had an annual cull.

Jail is probably not the ideal sentence but what else is there?. The man insists on what society considers to be unacceptable behaviour so society wants him stopped. My own view is that it would be better to detain him in a special hospital but I guess that he is not mad enough for that so has to go to jail.

As for naturism I think it is fine in private clubs or selected beaches but not in the middle of town.