Proposed Blydoit Abbatoir at Scalloway

Mattie

People need to take a bit of responsibility for thinking about where the meat they eat comes from. So if you're not happy to take meat from a local slaughterhouse where hopefully humane conditions exist that can be monitored are you enjoying eating meat that has come from a poor creature holed up in a cramped shed, never having fresh air and grass to run on? I hope all the chemicals pumped into the suffering animals and the extra fat because it can't walk in a straight line tastes really good. Come on, be aware, don't turn a blind eye, it happens, at least make it local and humane!

And no I'm not a raging vegan, just someone with a conscience!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Inverurie a number of years ago and was out for a walk one night and got a surprise when I walked right past an abatoir. It was just there in the town. If I remember correctly it had a very high wall right around it and high gates which were open when I walked past it. Didn't see anything nasty but I do remember a smell (like when my man's been killing sheep) and men hosing down outside with water.

Whats the moaning all about? This is bringing work to Scalloway Which is needed. There was no problem when it was a stinking fish factory so why the abatoir problem?

Yes there was! I have had occasion to complain about smell and noise late at night on more than once. Also it encouraged scories and rats. The factory should have never have been built there in the first place. Blacksness is the place for fish processing in Scalloway.

People need to take a bit of responsibility for thinking about where the meat they eat comes from. So if you're not happy to take meat from a local slaughterhouse where hopefully humane conditions exist that can be monitored are you enjoying eating meat that has come from a poor creature holed up in a cramped shed, never having fresh air and grass to run on? I hope all the chemicals pumped into the suffering animals and the extra fat because it can't walk in a straight line tastes really good. Come on, be aware, don't turn a blind eye, it happens, at least make it local and humane!

And no I'm not a raging vegan, just someone with a conscience!

Spot on! :D

There are slaughterhouses at Boddam and Laxfirth. The Boddam one is licensed for sheep pigs and cattle, the Laxfirth one is purely sheep.

Packaging is one major contributory factor in supermarket acceptability.

Currently the Scalloway butcher, and perhaps the Globe, provide full butchering services and the former sells locally produced beef when available and has done for some time, something perhaps not widely known. :wink:

There is 2 abatoir's in shetland Tingwall and Boddam. Is it enough for Shetlands population?

Lively is right about the Rats they have been there for a very long time.

The smell of blood an guts will drive the East Voe rats high and they will come through the new housing schemes for a look no doubt to see what the new smell is maybe even find a free meal. The rats probably already come for a look at the fish factory.

The building is great but the location is terrible!

Council should do away with the fish factory and the proposed site for abatoir. Give the land to Hjatland for more housing. Keep the Blydoit Shop and Vets.

There must be better options with in Shetland for an abatoir espcially at back of lerwick near the marts.

I thought there was an abatoir in Tingwall already?

I also thought the reason our local meat isn't in Tesco is because of packaging or someething?

In which case wouldn't it make sense to have a meat packing facility at the site in Scalloway?

1) Yes.

2) Yes - If memory serves, the original slaughterhouse was never designed to undertake the kind of work its been doing for the last several years, it was designed and built to handle sheep, and only for the original owner's capacity and a few extra. Having been pressed in to service for additional roles once, extending/upgrading to comply with ever enhanced EU standards/adding EU/Tesco standard packing facilities on the present site just isn't really practical/possible/a sound investment.

3) Scalloway/Tingwall/Lerwick/Gulberwick possibly even Nesting are all reasonably central, on good/reasonably good roads and with good/reasonably good access to main outlets/distribution points. A "Shetland" slaughterhouse needs to be in such a situation, somebody coming from say Hillswick has long enough of a haul to get there, without having to head for the Ness, out West or wherever, and if you're any distance from Lerwick you have the extra haulage costs of getting your product to where the greatest volume of your outlets exist.

There is 2 abatoir's in shetland Tingwall and Boddam. Is it enough for Shetlands population?

See my previous post re: why Laxfirth is inadequate, as for Boddam, can't say much here or the libel lawyers will be seeing £££ signs, but how the place is still managing to be open and operate is well beyond me.

Boddam isn't licensed for cows over 30 months old, they have to be shipped to Orkney for testing.

We have had pigs slaughtered at Boddam and found Magnus to be very helpful and always respectful to the animals. He has just done a young cow for us and butchered it aswell, made a very nice job of it. I am happy to recommend them. :D

We have had lambs slaughtered and butchered at Laxfirth. Again, very helpful, professional and make a nice job.

I can see the benefit of a new slaughter house providing modern processing facilities to allow local meat to be sold to the co-op & tescos etc. It is a real shame that the supermarkets import meat whilst stock is being exported, if we could process it locally it must benefit crofters/farmers and give a boost to the Shetland economy.

the east voe park wis always going tae be fur industry but eftir objections fae ider residents aboot a diffrent hoosing plan dat hooses wir biggit at da east voe,dat park wis offered tae da coonsil years ago but dey said no,it wis also surveyed years ago fur hooses 2/3 o it being ok,as we see noo.

aa dat's in da past tho,whit's tae be done noo?

options ir,

1, breed an kill your ain meat,messy cruel business if you dunna ken whit you're doing.

2,ship animals awa and meat bak,mare expencive meat,no a good idea.

3,breed local,kill local,sell local.local meat fur local people sold in the local shop.

4,turn veggie?

i tink fok shoodna be faird tae ken whar deir meat comes fae,do you ken whar your meat's fae,whit farm it wis bred on if i wis treated good if it wis killed humanely,etc etc?