Proposed Blydoit Abbatoir at Scalloway

Mattie

Speaking on behalf of objectors who turned out in force at the Town Hall, nearby resident John Hunter said the change of use would “most certainly contribute to the erosion of the residential character of the areaâ€.

He said the application highlighted the flaws of the current local plan, which dates back to 2004. He said an area originally designated for industrial use had become surrounded by houses, turning the site into a predominantly residential area. “It is time to redesignate and slowly move the industrial component from Blydoit.â€

East Voe resident Rita Williamson rejected the planning officials’ claim that the effect would be minimal.

She said the application was “offensive and degradingâ€, and if approved would leave a legacy long after current councillors have left office.

Seems the road issue was a cover. It would seem that locals don't want “offensive and degrading†buildings near them. The condition specifically prevented trucks/trailers waiting on the roads. There was to be no animals outside and no storage of waste outside. so why is it “offensive and degrading†degrading to who. So I'm sorry to the fish shop and the vets your on your way out . How about a nice garage with spilt oil ect. Your in the country Animals dying is part of the life. This is nimby ism at it best; or are they all veggies in scalloway.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are currently pishing £14 million at a cinema screen and a dance floor in Lerwick, yet we can not seem to afford to provide a proper building for one of the main and most important industries in the isles.

We should be throwing money at them for an all singing all dancing abattoir, built to last for many decades, This is one of the rare things that the isles really really needs, not only now but in years to come.

Shetland is heading for a basket case economy. We are getting more out of kilter with reality each year, it's only going to end in tears, wait and see. Some time out there in the not to distant future, when the current gravy train derails we will need to rely on our agriculture, fishing and fish farming. Now is the time to spend on infrastructure to support them.

Having just read the Shetland Times report on the meeting, I only have one thing to say to the objecting Blydoit residents. I hope you realise how extremely lucky and privileged you already are, that your quality of life in your neighbourhood is such that the sound or sight of a cow or sheep, or a few more trucks, cars and 4X4's around can make such a significant difference to it.

Personally I'd much rather, and have been a whole lot more happier living in an abbatoir, never mind next to it, for the last 4 1/2 years rather than next to most of the assortment of characters SIC Housing have been dumping in this neighbourhood.

We are currently pishing £14 million at a cinema screen and a dance floor in Lerwick, yet we can not seem to afford to provide a proper building for one of the main and most important industries in the isles.

Well, that's not true. We are not spending anything like that. Most of the money is coming from elsewhere.

But yes, it is incredible that councillors show such disregard for such an important industry.

The real problem is the act of irresponsibility and foolishness of nodding through so much residential development so close to an industrial area, without apparently giving any real consideration to the very scenario which has arisen so soon after much of the residential development took place. That a significant percentage of sites within an industrial zone are liable to change ownership/use over time, and that an adequate buffer zone should have been enforced between the two. I thought we employed "planners" to forsee such things, and ensure problems like the present one were kept to a minimum?!?

As things stand, as is quoted in the times report, there's only one real solution, to rezone the current industrial area as residential. Until and unless that occurs there's going to be the same bickering over the site whatever anyone tries to do with it, depending on what fears, either real or imagined, any one portion of the residents of the neighbourhood have about the proposed use.

They are there to represent all of Shetland. I'm sure that the locals don't want the slaughterhouse there. But its were there is a suitable building. Sometimes the council will discover that the greater good out ways objections of a few locals. So Collin tell us why you feel that scalloway is not suited to agri business. The same rule then should apply to any other smelly business that may be undertaken there. So are you planning to kick out the fish shop/processor from there you can get a terrible fishy smell from it.

Hmmm, I might have to use that line in the windfarm debate. Any objections, paulb? :twisted: :wink:

Shetland is heading for a basket case economy. We are getting more out of kilter with reality each year, it's only going to end in tears, wait and see. Some time out there in the not to distant future, when the current gravy train derails we will need to rely on our agriculture, fishing and fish farming. Now is the time to spend on infrastructure to support them.

That's a good one too. :twisted:

ArabiaTerra I have no problems with the size of the wind farm i just dont trust SIC to not make a mess up of it. The location needs spreading out but thats my only concern.

If a very important facility is being stopped because a few folks have problems with livestock being killed near them. I do have issues with them. In an ideal world it would be better located in an more isolated area. But as there is nowhere that is near the scalloway site.

Maybe it would do the town dwellers a bit of good to see where there food comes from. guided tours would be an intresting option. I wonder how many of the objectors are veggies. Is mr hunter not from the big house overlooking the site not im sure anything to do with house prices.

ArabiaTerra I have no problems with the size of the wind farm i just dont trust SIC to not make a mess up of it. The location needs spreading out but thats my only concern.

No problem, I wasn't implying anything about your views on the windfarm, I just liked your turn of phrase.

If a very important facility is being stopped because a few folks have problems with livestock being killed near them. I do have issues with them. In an ideal world it would be better located in an more isolated area. But as there is nowhere that is near the scalloway site.

Maybe it would do the town dwellers a bit of good to see where there food comes from. guided tours would be an intresting option. I wonder how many of the objectors are veggies. Is mr hunter not from the big house overlooking the site not im sure anything to do with house prices. :wink:

I agree on the abattoir subject, it's something Shetland desperately needs and the Council should be more pro-active on the subject. A state of the art facility should be well within their capability to build (of course this may well end up conflicting with EU competition rules or something similar). It seems ridiculous that we have to send livestock South to kill it then ship it back here to eat it.

At last an end to the proposed Abattoir!! Regardless of all the mentions here... The majority of people would be against an abattoir on their back door!! So for once the Council has seen sense :D

Regarless of all the debate here.

I started this topic.. The debate has been won!!

No Abattoir for Blydoit...

I rest my case!! :twisted:

At last an end to the proposed Abattoir!! Regardless of all the mentions here... The majority of people would be against an abattoir on their back door!! So for once the Council has seen sense :D

Regarless of all the debate here.

I started this topic.. The debate has been won!!

No Abattoir for Blydoit...

I rest my case!! :twisted:

I wouldn't be celebrating just yet Mattie. The decision still has to be ratified by the full Council. Not only that, but if they agree that the application should be refused, the applicant can still lodge an appeal with the Scottish Government.

Surely the people living closest to the site were happy enough that it was a sea food processing unit

No they weren't! The place for fish processing in Scalloway is on Blacksness pier.

Yet people moved into the new houses knowing that it was a sea food processing unit. Perhaps you could argue that rather than being happy about it they just accepted it as they wanted the house. Still not the same as accepting an abattoir right next door.