Proposed Blydoit Abbatoir at Scalloway

Mattie

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than cows, pigs and sheep being slaughtered on a daily basis

I think you'll find they were only going to be killing 2 days a week.... ;)

(if I mind correctly)

I would think the noise from all them bairns runnin round the estate screamin and playin would drown out any noise from da slaughter house anyhoo :D

What if they decide they need a bell? I'd have no issue living next to a coo broalin steady from 10 minutes or however long it is every so often, probably because I pretty much always have, but somebody clanging at on a bell next door for the same time would have me stealing a ladder and swiping the clapper.

I was born, and lived next to a church for the first eighteen years of my life. The bell was so normal that only visitors heard it. Having said that, my vote is still for a bowling alley.

• 2 weeks later...

It's Sunday afternoon, I'm a little bored AND;

You have to wonder if the people who didn't want to live next door to an abbattoir are happy to live next door to a fish factory.

You would also have to wonder that, if they are not happy, do they feel a little 'used'.

:wink:

• 2 months later...

This may require a thread title change, but I'm surprised that the awarding of 100% funding to build an abattoir at the Staney Hill site has gone without mention. That's an awful lot of money to throw at a group with a track record of commercial loss, with no mention of match funding or guarantees. Chances are unless there is a major cultural change within the local industry, the Boddam slaughterhouse will likely feel the pinch from the introduction of the new subsidised one, and the new one is unlikely to be viable, going by past track record. One can only hope that more has gone into this than a contrived reaction to the potential rejection of the Scalloway proposal in the council chamber. :?

• 3 months later...

It looks like the abbatoir is going to be built where it should be, in the Staney Hill next the Marts.

Boost for livestock producers as slaughterhouse gets thumbs up

Efforts to revolutionise meat production in the isles have taken a major step forward with planning permission being granted for a £370,000 new slaughterhouse beside the Marts north of Lerwick.

It means work on the local authority-funded building, which will be kitted out to kill cattle, pigs and sheep, should be able to start in the first half of the year, a move which many – but not all – in the agriculture community believe could usher in a new era for locally-produced meat.