Fair Isle - it's a popular place!

peeriebryan

Apparently 800 people applied to live in Fair Isle after an advert was placed by the National Trust (who own the island) and four families have made it to the shortlist, according to the BBC News website. I wonder how they decide on the winners

Maybe they could send the rest to Unst, or repopulate St Kilda. Hang on, after writing that, its maybe not such a bad idea to recommend Unst, Fetlar or another depopulating island to the people who didn't get through. Hmm......

I heard the decision making process was based on the female family members competing to corrupt an honourable policeman by dancing naked outside his bedroom door singing hypnotic folk songs.

The process was alledgedly severely delayed by the difficulty in finding a suitable test subject, and the 796 strong paternity battle is currently under way. :twisted:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous
I heard the decision making process was based on the female family members competing to corrupt an honourable policeman by dancing naked outside his bedroom door singing hypnotic folk songs.

The process was alledgedly severely delayed by the difficulty in finding a suitable test subject, and the 796 strong paternity battle is currently under way. :twisted:

No! Jesus Christ! No!

Guest Anonymous

im interested to know a typical day in the life of a fair-isler, anyone have any insight?

What employment is there on the island?

How good is the fishing around fair isle? - i bet sea fishing off fair isle must be "summit else!!", any sharks around fair isle?

wickerman

Not much employment, but good fishing!

There's enough of an economy to keep seventy odd people going.

One of my best mates is from Fair Isle, but the chances of getting him on here to explain the pros and cons of living there are slim to none, he barely knows how to switch a computer on.

I tend to argue with the employment point McFly.

Fair Isle, like foula will have various jobs in terms of infrastructure, ie, people are employed to maintain the roads, power generators, grit when snowy, etc. Plus in Fair Isle there is sufficient community spirit that locals formed their own building contractor so's any work needed can be done without taking in anybody from outside.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but they don't live from hand to mouth in the distant isles :wink: