Travelling with a dog

Peerie Tr00ker

Never tried it but out of curiosity I looked on Flybe and Loganair's website and found this.

Pets

Pets are welcome on Loganair's flights, though they will always be carried in the hold (only assistance dogs for the visually impaired are allowed in the cabin), and are only ever carried subject to space being available. Puppies must be at least 12 weeks old to travel.

Domestic animals (such as cats and dogs) may be carried as accompanied Baggage. The pet checks-in with you at the passenger terminal and rejoins you on arrival in the Baggage hall at the destination airport. You are responsible for putting your pet in a suitably approved container, which will be accepted as an additional piece of luggage for which there will be a charge of £10.

You must have a correctly sized container to carry your pet otherwise Loganair will refuse travel for your pet. The following requirements must be met:

The container must be large enough for the pet to stand up, turn around and lie down in a natural manner.

The container must be strong enough to protect the pet during transport, be secure enough to contain it and have sufficient ventilation on all four sides.

The door must be secured in such a manner that it will not open accidentally or your pet cannot open it during handling and transport.

Your pet's nose and paws should not be able to fit through any ventilation opening or door mesh.

The container must have a water pot and a food container accessible from outside.

Pets may also travel unaccompanied, and as such will be carried and handled as cargo. Call your local Flybe/Loganair Cargo Reservations Department, and they will advise the flight availability and advise you of check-in times. Please have the container dimensions handy when you phone.

Cargo contact details and rates can be found by visiting Loganair's Cargo page on the web site.

• 5 weeks later...

Oooh this is interesting. With the forthcoming move to Shetland, one thing I'm dreading is the blooming boat (partially due to the fact I typed up in a previous job the Witness Statements of the survivors of the Herald Free Enterprise - was that the name of the boat? - disaster) and how the dogs would cope on such a long car journey and then the ferry.

Good God, it is cheaper to fly me darling Shar Pei up! Ah, suitable container ...

... well Buff and Kia need a cage of 72" EACH and I can't see that fitting in the luggage thingy - well, it wouldn't with Easyjet, that's for sure. Perhaps I should fit wheels to their dog crates and just bash everyone in the aisle?

Oooh, whack them in the hold ...

... now I suffer with air pressure and wear those delightful ear planes to equalise the balance so that I don't burst an eardrum on descent as I have very narrow tubes in my ears ....

... do mutts suffer with the same problem on descent? I know one of my dogs has very narrow ear canals and would hate for her to suffer on descent. Serious question peeps - any vets out there know if earplanes can be used on dogs?

I'm not sure if I could let my dogs drink the awful tea/coffee though - the RSPCA would nick me on the spot!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Took our pup home yesterday from Glasgow, at 8 weeks, Loganair and flybe couldn't have been better. His age wage never queried, maybe due to his size, he kicked up a fuss in the hold and the staff allowed him to travel in the cabin (in a box!). He slept through the flight once in the cabin. A big thanks is on its way to Loganair for the service :D