Scalloway Fire Festival

Colin

(leading to the infamous R.H.B.B. invitations).

Whoops. I made a typo there (corrected now). It should read R.S.B.B, or in other versions of the story R.S.B.D. The invitations were to an UHA dance in 1901 and were printed by the Shetland Times with these letters rather than the usual R.S.V.P. The first three letters stand for "Royal Sovereign Be ..." As for the final "B"? I presume "b*ggered" but the written source is not explicit.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been at the meeting on saturday night I feel that Colin`s comments on here are out of order, insensitive and inaccurate. The majority of people I have spoken to and who were at the meeting agreed with the decision, however in situations like this there will always be people who agree otherwise.

The Fire Festival has been cancelled end of story and will go ahead next year.

I would also like to ask the moderators to lock this thread as I feel the debate could get out of hand.

I would also like to ask the moderators to lock this thread as I feel the debate could get out of hand.

There's no reason to lock this thread. Hopefully it is enough to remind people to keep their words civil and their posts on topic.

Fair enough I`ve said my point and will leave it at that.

Surly the welfare of the Jarl's baby comes before a night on the piss. If some one had died it would have been cancelled so the fact that Michael Pottinger put the life of his baby first should be commended even if it means that all the other Jarl's have to wait an extra year before they get a go at the job I for one can see no reason for Michael not to be the Jarl next year and carry on from there.

A father that Charlie can grow up to be proud of.

My thoughts are with the whole family as well.

The last postponement was 1965 due to Churchill's recent (24th Jan) death. Another notable postponement was 1900 due to a flu epidemic.

When I wrote the above I wasn't sure about all postponements so only listed a couple. On checking I think that there is only one other so include it now for completeness. The 1936 Lerwick UHA was postponed due to the recent (20th Jan) death of King George V.

Surly the welfare of the Jarl's baby comes before a night on the piss. If some one had died it would have been cancelled so the fact that Michael Pottinger put the life of his baby first should be commended even if it means that all the other Jarl's have to wait an extra year before they get a go at the job I for one can see no reason for Michael not to be the Jarl next year and carry on from there.

A father that Charlie can grow up to be proud of.

My thoughts are with the whole family as well.

Well said.