Blood donors / giving blood

Twerto

Guest Anonymous

The blood transfusion service has mobile units, if I recall correctly.

Perhaps as Fjool says, if they had enough folks pledging donations they may well bring such a unit to Shetland.

I'd also be prepared to wager that Northlink might be prepared to give free transport for a mobile unit for such a worthy cause

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to be able to give blood, but when I asked while I was at university I was told I couldn't because of the medication I was on.

Now not only do I still have the same medication but I also had a blood transfusion after having one of the bairns and I believe that precludes me from donating now.

Pity.

Here's an idea: Maybe we can obtain pledges from enough people to donate blood over the course of a couple of weeks. They can come and take blood safe in the knowledge that there'll be enough folks interested to make it worth while.

I'd sign.

How often can one give blood, by the way?

I think this could really work if the word was spread!!

Just take a moment to think to yourself how many people do you know has had an operation/given birth/had a life threatening disease such as cancer/leukemia etc, everyone of these scenarios need or may need blood!!

Anyone between the ages of 17-66, who is in general good health, can volunteer to give blood (if you are a current donor, you can donate until you are 70 years of age). But first we want to make sure that we are taking the best care of you. Please make sure you have eaten before donating. While almost anyone can give blood, please remember there are a few exceptions. There are two main reasons why you shouldn't give blood:

1. If giving blood could affect your own good health, for example:

* If you are pregnant or have been pregnant within the last year

* If you have certain medical conditions or are taking certain types of medication

* If you have had surgery in the past 12 months

* If you weigh less than 7st 12lbs (50kg)

* If you are under the age of 17 or over the age of 66 (70 for current donors)

2. If your blood could transmit an infection to the person who receives it, for example:

* If you have visited a foreign country within the last 12 months where you may have been exposed to malaria, such as parts of Africa or South America

* If you have ever injected drugs

* If your lifestyle puts you at risk of HIV or hepatitis

* If you have had ear /body piercing or a tattoo within the last year

* If you have received, or think you may have received, a blood transfusion in the UK since 1980

We need to find out exactly what it would take to make bringing the donation service to Shetland for a week or so. If it's a case of money, we can raise that. If it's a case of volunteers, we can hopefully raise those also.

If there's a more technical reason we cannot solve, however, we should find out before worrying too much about the other issues.

Does anyone know someone works in this field and can offer information and advice?

Went to give blood today and I asked the nurse if it could be possible to have blood taken in Shetland.

She told me that the reason it is not done in the isles is because the blood must be stored in cool bags and imediately and sent to the lab in Galsgow, sorry to say it but shetland is just too far away as the blood must be put to the lab asap.

It looks like for those who want to give blood will have to go to a donor point on the mainland.

I also found out today an interesting fact about the blood stocks, there has to be enough blood stored every day for every birth every day (hope that makes sense) just incase it is needed, thats a whole lotta blood!!!!

So the people that can give blood, go tomorrow!!

:) :) :)

I'm grateful to have received a couple of pints > after an emergency caesarean, although, going by the list, it disqualifies me for giving blood. We were just so thankful to have a healthy baby so I'd be willing to help in other ways if I could.