Breast Feeding support groups

Hollian

Hhrmm.. I've been thinking that none of that is really very helpful. Sometimes a woman just needs to sit with other people going through similar experiences and get support/help/advice that way. Midwives and health visitors are fine enough but tend to not go beyond the textbook "what should be said". The internet is a scary place to go looking for advice with so many conflicting sites/opinions.

Hollian, why don't you start a group up? Or could we not use Shetlink for that as well? :D

Checked with Health Visitor- no breast feeding support groups in Shetland.

Thanks for the virtual support Khit, every little helps.

I never realised how blooming hard BF would be! But will keep trying.

If there are any mums (or dads!) who are/have/plan to Breast feed, who want to get in touch, compare notes and support each other, please contact me. I'm not online as much as I used to be, but am trying to practice BF and typing at the same time.

Guest posiedon
Hollian

If there are any mums (or dads!) who are/have/plan to Breast feed,

Ah! So men's nipples do have a purpose.

Sorry, I'll get me coathttp://www.thinkhumanism.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/exit.gif

I tried to BF all 3 of my children unsuccessfully. None of them would gain adequate weight. With my first-born she seemed to feed alot during the day. Then, unbelievable as it sounds she started sleeping right through the night from 9 days old. But she did'nt thrive. I later learned that for successful BF it is important to feed during the night. After 6 weeks my mother-in-law suggested I should try the giving her formula. It was the hardest decision of my life as I felt such a failure. After I spoke to the mid-wife she said she was relieved that I had reached that decison as although she thought it was what I should do she couldn't advise me to do it because of the promotion of breast-feeding.

With my second it was the same scenario, I fed for a week and she didn't gain weight. It was a different mid-wife and she advised me to give formula. I was relived and I had come to realise that as long as my baby thrived that was the important thing.

With my third I gave it ago again (always the glutton for punishment) I fed for 6 weeks and I felt alot happier about the whole thing but her weight gain was not what it should have been (even allowing for the fact that BF babies do not gain as much weight as formula fed babies)

At the end of the day you have to do what you feel is right for yourself and baby. If you can't get past the fact it is so time consuming and cracked nipples etc. it is not the end of the world if you decide to give your baby formula and you are not a failure.

It is possible to use both and I did so for some time with all three of my children.

Don't know if this is of any help to you but I hope it is and good luck.

^^ Good on you trowie for trying again, many women would have given up, I suspect.

If you can't get past the fact it is so time consuming and cracked nipples etc.

I would have thought all that malarky with sterlising bottles and warming feeds in the middle of the night would have been substantially more time consuming. When nursing at night you just pick up the baby, make sure s/he's latched on and then doze off again while they feed. I'm far too lazy for bottles, haha. And during the day you can go/do what you want really without worrying - it's on tap and at the right temperature! As for cracked nipples, I suppose there's a bit of an ouch during the early days until you get used to it, and then it's pain free.

And men - please do note that women need calmness about them in order to breastfeed successfully!