Shetland earthquake - did the earth move for you?

Hector's House

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Mossbank and felt nothing and this is posted at 12.09am GMT as for sum reason the Shetlink clock is still one hour fast for sum reason http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-taunt005.gif

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/recent_events/recent_events.html

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/6504/earthtz5.jpg

I think yun position is 60.305,1.380 and not 60.305,-1.380 as it should be

I see someen's beatin me tae pointin yun oot :)

from the BGS website

DATE : 15 January 2009

ORIGIN TIME : 05:32 29.3s UTC

LAT/LONG : 60.305 ° North / 1.38 ° West

GRID REF : 434.26 kmE / 1157.975 kmN

DEPTH : 17.5 km

MAGNITUDE : 3.3 ML

LOCALITY : Shetland

INTENSITY : 4 EMS

COMMENTS : Felt Shetland Isles

no sign of a minus....but I got the same location as you Kev ;)

edit: Doh that's what the W is for :D

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

We woke with a loud rumble and the bed and walls fairly rattlin...clock said 5.32 am. Pictures on the wall all crooked coming down this morning...my neighbour 2 doors up felt nothing at all and says she's a light sleeper...

One of the kids I work with said his house was shivering last night :)

3.3 on the richter scale was compared to the same sort of blast that ruined Chernobyl.....

@PH -Works for me! :wink:

From scholarly sources:

Evidence from seismic and bathymetric surveys along the passive margin of NW Europe indicates that there are a number of features suggestive of large earthquakes having occurred in geologically recent times, although the exact timing of these events is difficult to establish. It might be thought that, although such large earthquakes may have occurred, for example, in immediate post-glacial times in response to rapid isostatic readjustment, no earthquake in the UK area in historical times has exceeded a value of around 5.7 Mw. However, in past interpretations of regional seismicity, the possibility that some known historical earthquakes were in fact passive margin events has not really been canvassed. A large, distant, offshore earthquake is likely to be felt only at moderate strength over well-populated areas without any observable damage concentration. In a period when documentation of earthquakes is always sparse, such an occurrence is likely to lead to vague reporting that will not be easily interpretable. Looking at the historical record with this in mind, it is possible to identify some earthquakes that are at least compatible with an offshore interpretation, as shown in a series of case studies. However, in no case is such an interpretation the only one viable. Also, some cases that initially appear to be potentially passive margin events can in fact be discounted. While there is no unequivocal evidence for large earthquakes having occurred on the NW European passive margin in historical times, neither can the possibility be rejected, and examination of the record shows one event in particular (in 1508) which may be a large passive margin event. Thus the regional maximum magnitude could possibly be larger than has hitherto been assumed.
:shock:

I'm telling you, lifejacket/crash helmet, seriously.

:P

I felt da earthquake dis moarnin an it wiz braa scary! I wiz choost finished aetin me braakfast it 5.33am whin da hoose started tae shack an aa thing started tae rattle on da units an dat. I wid say it geed on fir 10secs. I towt hit wiz mibee a plane or suntin braa low so i geed tae da windoo an i towt nah it haes tae be a Tremor. Aabody doon it wark towt i wiz bein stupid! :( Thankfully me Boss kem in an saed he felt suntin toe. :D