Shetland earthquake - did the earth move for you?

Hector's House

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/helicorder/heli.html click "VIEW"

Theres a heck of a lot activity on that real time data graph. I mean even edinburgh aint getting as much activity as that. Look at the graph from previous days , there is no movement in the line , and look at the activity over the last few hours.

If you think that one looks worrying, don't look at the graph for the "Very long period" on the "Component" drop down menu.

There are hundreds of earthquakes a day, worse than this tiny little cough, and yet some people, NO NAMES, who are slightly over reacting.

Yes it is not common to have a 3.3 tremor in Shetland but that is nothing to the ones in the Southern Hemisphere.

Just a comment

Guest Anonymous
http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/helicorder/heli.html click "VIEW"

Theres a heck of a lot activity on that real time data graph. I mean even edinburgh aint getting as much activity as that. Look at the graph from previous days , there is no movement in the line , and look at the activity over the last few hours.

If you think that one looks worrying, don't look at the graph for the "Very long period" on the "Component" drop down menu.

Na na, boy dö's furyat aboot da timescale. Yun extreme seismic activity is aboot 7pm. Dat means abbot a oor efter a lok o folk aet a fill o baked beans fur dir dennir. Dat mak's me winder whit dey pick up upö dir sensors eftir a reestit mutton soup fart.

There are hundreds of earthquakes a day, worse than this tiny little cough, and yet some people, NO NAMES, who are slightly over reacting.

Yes it is not common to have a 3.3 tremor in Shetland but that is nothing to the ones in the Southern Hemisphere.

i don't think it was anything in comparison to earthquakes in the northern hemisphere either :?

i'm fairly sure we all know it was a thing of nothing, but it did happen here, so i think were within our rights to say "ooooo, shetland earthquake!", and the first thing i thought when it happened, after "whit da f**k wis yun?", was about the storegga slide, which i don't think was a ridiculous overreaction, admittedly i went back to sleep straight afterwards, but for a few minutes there i WAS concerned :wink:

Just a comment

aren't they all?

I was up, working at the computer, the wind had gotten up and at first I thought it was thunder or the wind rumbling and vibrating my house in Lerwick. The noise got louder and then my furniture started to vibrate. The furniture only shook for about 5 seconds, but I knew it was an earthquake and checked the time, 5.33am. I sat a bit bemused for a minute then thought nothing more of it.

it usually taks a lot tae waken me up,i mind lightning killing 14 o wir sheep aboot 8 years ago aboot a mile fae me hoos,i heard nothing.but yun rumbleing on thursday wakened me up.

you wir saying aboot fault lines,me sister had a geology map an it showed the fault line dit runs through the great glen (loch ness etc) carrys on oot intae da nort sea dan comes ashore aboot gulberwick dan runs kinda norwast'ish by da windy grind abun veensgert an heads tae da sooth east bit o st magnus bay.winder if it wis dat fault dit moved?