Best internet broadband provider?

splodger

Hello, am moving up hopefully in summer and among many things I need to know, is who is the best value internet provider?

Am with BT at mo but they are quite expensive and, as with many Shetland ways of life am thoroughly ignorant so please show a little patience, do not know who provides broadband up there.

Will also probably get some sort of TV package so if there are any money saving combos it would be great to hear of them,

In ORANGE here in Lancs,

you need a broadband enabled line or a line that can take broadband.

And for 24 pounds a month I get

free phone line rental

free geological calls (off peak)

up to 8mb broadband

wireless router

2nd phone which has

free calls to over 30 countries (Inc, usa, spain, australia, nz and most of Europe)

free uk geological calls (24/7)

but no TV.

Had teething troubles but found there were loads of wireless stuff down my street so went with LAn connection, but that just me.

overall a reasonable service for money

good luck

If you have a orange mobile contract for £35 or more, most of above service is free. But we still pay BT for our 1st phone line, part of that's the whole vain hope that when something goes wrong with the line they'll fix it. The second line has the free/cheap calls, including free calls to orange mobiles.

I get unlimited downloads for GBP15 per month

Do you get real unlimited downloads or is it like BT where they say it's unlimited but if you go over a certain threshold they slow your download speed so that it's worse than dial-up - for a month!

I've never had any problems with the download speed, if there is a threshold, I'm not aware of it!

• 2 months later...
Just checked the Eclipse site and for £12:67 you get a maximum 10Gb per month, £22:46 gives you 50Gb

:(

You'll no get that up here, I'm with eclipse and paying 15.37 a month for first 3 months and goes up to twenty something after that. Have a 10Gb monthly limit. Took them a month to get it activated, and the free router was a single connection, non wireless thing, so far from impressed

Dont go with AOL, their customer care was shocking, I phoned them 9 times and still got no farther trying to fix my problem, they would fob you off, put you on hold that no one ever answered, lie, terrible to try and understand them, go through the same list of things to do even though you had eplained it to them you had done it multiple times before, you were also paying for the privalage.

In the end I just cancelled them as it was driveing me crazy, was hard trying to cancel, they did everything they could to stop you, finally got my MAC code and went to Titanadsl, who i have had no problems with so far.

Just checked the Eclipse site and for £12:67 you get a maximum 10Gb per month, £22:46 gives you 50Gb

:(

I phoned them recently to get a wireless router.

They wanted to review what I was on and possibly offer me a better fit, but when they checked they said that I was on one of their best old packages, they don't do unlimited any more and that I shouldn't change.

I still can't fault them as a company, but I'm glad I started with them when I did (a couple of years ago).

I get unlimited downloads for GBP15 per month

Do you get real unlimited downloads or is it like BT where they say it's unlimited but if you go over a certain threshold they slow your download speed so that it's worse than dial-up - for a month!

I've never had any problems with the download speed, if there is a threshold, I'm not aware of it!

It's 100GB.