What was your favourite subject at school?

Do you like school?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like school?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sitting on the fence.

Would have to say History on dat een, closely followed by PE, as we got to play football mainly, though I did enjoy when wir teacher decided to teach us the gentlemans game of cricket. Piss boring to watch but entertaining to play, the first ball of the first over we played he berated one of the boys for throwin the ball under arm, and told him to bowl again and this time OVER ARM BOY!!

Fellow takes a hell o a run up but slipped the ball to early. It sailed gracefully through the air and smacked the PE teacher square on the head, poetic justice, never laughed so much in my life, (after making sure the teacher was ok of course :wink: )

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sam as da rest o you i'd imagine,i liked da things i wis good at.

technical an french i got higher scores dan average.but i did like science cus we got tae mak hom broo,an da science teacher wired up da door handle tae a hand generator an geed me bridder a shock :lol:

if we left wir PE kleys at hom we wid eider git a gym shoe across wir backside or hae tae ging oot an tidy up rubbish. :evil: but luckily i liked gym too.

did weel in me exams too,only failed 1.no saying how mony i took tho :oops:

guess whit een i failed :?:

it wis bunckem onyway, :)

• 10 months later...

I remember when I just turned second year, we were doing some metalwork in CDT. I was busy hammering something on my keyring until the head fell off and banged my fingers then I shouted 'F*****G HELL! THAT HURTS!'.

Then all my classmates started to stare at me and got trouble in two shakes of a lamb's tail!

maths.

I used to think I'd want to be a maths teacher. The thought of inflicting maths on teenagers 1st thing in the morning - quite entertaining, for me anyway.

But nothing beats the feeling you get when that light bulb goes on when you get someone to understand a mathematical process.

Everyone can do maths, it just takes a while to find the correct way to get that lightbulb moment in every pupil.

But nothing beats the feeling you get when that light bulb goes on when you get someone to understand a mathematical process.

Everyone can do maths, it just takes a while to find the correct way to get that lightbulb moment in every pupil.

I think the same can be said for any subject, even just now i am helpign a friend learn to drive and the satisfaction when the realisation of what you have been trying to explain filters through is great.

nothign worse than oen of your explanations being met with a huh or a yeah right.

and to stay on topic my favourite class was probably maths and art ( if im allowed 2 )

I truly didn't enjoy any subject at school. For a while I quite enjoyed English while I was in a class that studied contemporary literature, but then they moved me to the top class which was all Shakespeare etc, which I still don't enjoy to this day.

As I could read before I went to school, the only thing I learned in all my school days which has been of any use to me at all in life was basic Arithmetic. I genuinely believe going to school was a complete waste of time. I would have been much better off at home with my books.

I think I needed teachers who were more like you, MJ!

I should say that I was severely bullied all through my school days, which no doubt contributed to my hatred of the place. Probably why I am so oversensitive about criticism, too!

My favourite subjects were maths and physics. To me they were just the chance to play with number puzzles for an hour or two and forget about things for a while.

The only subject I really disliked was french. I just found it entirely pointless and frustrating when we could have been learning a useful language like Norwegian or Gaelic.

We were lucky to have a fantastic lineup of teachers though, and in our final years they often worked through lunch breaks with us to help study.

...we could have been learning a useful language like ... Gaelic.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I really hope you are pulling the piss, but I have a feeling you may really mean that.

If someone had tried to teach me Gaelic I would have rebelled 100%. Growing up in Shetland, my experiences with endless disapointing "And now here is an interesting TV programme about , except for viewers in the north who have their own programmes." announcements have scarred me. The result, like many others I understand, is an under-the-skin irrational phobic prejudice against all things Gaelic. Yuch.

^^ That was a fair part of my reason for wanting to learn it. Even today BBC Alba puts on the best programming anywhere in the UK, though thankfully much more of it is subtitled these days.

My logic, even at that age, was that I encountered both norwegian and gaelic on a regular basis, and not being able to understand them was a hidrance, however I never once encoutered french.

Even now, some 20+ years later, I still haven't.