Wrestling!

JAStewart

It sucks that they give away the order now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Rumble_2009#Royal_Rumble_match_participants

Orton will win. Edge will take the title from Jeff Hardy and we'll find out that the person who 'attacked Jeff in the hotel' during Survivor Series was none other than Christian, whom Jeff will have a grudge match against at Wrestlemania, while Edge will lose to Orton at WM25, unfortunately. Edge is far cooler than Orton.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone catch the Rumble last night? I watched it on youtube earlier - Matt Hardy turning heel was a shock, glad Orton won the Rumble match, he'll probably take on Cena at Mania.

Speaking of which, did anyone catch Wrestlemania Last year? WWE is gonna struggle to top that this year, especially since, as yet, there is no star attraction/match scheduled. The only match that can make that happen is Austin v Hogan.........

On subject of greatest match ever, Michaels v Scott Hall/Razor Ramon at Wrestlemania 10 was good, Shelton Benjamin v Michaels on Raw a few years ago was superb, and anything with Kurt Angle was usually pretty good.

Best match ivver; "Big Daddy" and "Da Mighty John Quinn".

Eftir parin' tatties ida Happy Haddock on a Setirday moarnin' (still at schul at da time) I wid buy 2 packets o' butterscotch angel delight fae Alex Morrison's and settle doon tae da farce dat dee caaed wrestlin'. Haystacks wis a guid adversary, bit Da Mighty John Quinn wis da ultimate grudge match fir wir Shirley. :wink:

Interesting reading, and scary paralells with Jeemsies views, so no point in repeating them! I've been an Orton fan for years, what sold me was his series with Foley, since then he's developed a depth of character few in WWE can match. Sure he was young and a prat behind the scenes, but in the ring he is the definition of pure talent. Its that rare commodity - when he steps in the ring, you know you're watching an artist. Sure, you get the "nothing but headlocks" pillocks moaning, but as Bret Hart said, people forget that he and Mr Perfect worked a headlock for 9 minutes in thier Summerslam IC title classic!

Orton/Michaels in Aberdeen this year was pure gold. Refreshing to see both just have a good house show match.

I enjoyed last nights rumble. Hardy/Swagger was an excellent display, and Melina really stepped up her game, though its a shame Mickie/Beth wont make WM, as they are streets ahead of the other women currently.

JBL/Cena was what it would always be, a pawn in the JBL/Micheals angle, and in that sens it served its purpose. Still, a good late 90's austin/Rock style brawl, but not my cup of tea though i do appreciate why its still so popular.

The Hardy twist was one of the most enjoyable moments I can recall for a long time. I was constantly expecting the Christian run-in, and the mention of the conchairto just confirmed it for me, then to have a sweet turn like that was so enjoyable. Not to mention the obvious Hardy's face off at WM that comes with it.

Much more in the offing, and as is probably obvious I could write about this subject for pages!

Just wondering how many follow other organisations besides WWE though. Personally the time I enjoyed wrestling the most was mid 2005-2006 TNA, with the Daniels/Styles/Joe X-Division feud. Everything was perfect, the psycology, booking, and most of all performances were off the charts.

Though I can't stand Sting etc in TNA, I do appreciate the importance business wise. If you can overlook that, TNA puts on some amazing matches when everything clicks (like Angle/Jarrett at Genesis).

Not such a fan of ROH however - sure, some quality matches from a "flippy" viewpoint, but (and I know it goes with the nature of independants) a lack of long term angles and build up to matches. Maybe their new TV deal will help there.

Right - enough of a ramble, and not long till RAW! :D

Edit - actually, it would be fun to get to know a few other Shetland based fans. PPV's are more fun when people of differing tastes are watching together, and I dunno how many attend live events, but a sheem to be in the same arena an no meet up!

How can you say that orton was the downfall of WWE? In 2008 Orton and Edge carried the company through phases of cr'p wrestlers ie the boogyman.

orton will also carry WWE in '09 with the second generation stable. One of the best periods in wrestling (post attitude) was the evolution era 03-04 and orton is recreating it with Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase.

the only real characters in wrestling now are Orton, Edge, HHH and the Hardyz, everyone else are just working gimmicks to make WWE more child friendly, i mean when was the last time we saw some barbed wire or thumb tacks?

Absolutely agree with everything there, Dusty Rhodes! :)

The reason you haven't seen barbed wire or thumb-tacks in ages is because WWE has a no-blood policy at the moment. Any blood you have seen has been drawn the hard way. Although, being WWE, they will no doubt change their minds again soon enough.

Hardcore matches dramatically decreased coincidentally when Orton came in and sh@ all over everything. Sure he'd hit Mick with a chair and claim to have a big pintle, but its was nothing compared to the glory years. When did we last see something as epic is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=samLHhU87ro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvi-ugLszXo

Admittadly I did see Jeff's Swanton on Orton from the enterance bit. That was cool, especially cause Orton was on the end of it.

To me, Orton's era represents the end of something amazing and the start of something generic and lame. I just cannot stand the man at all, he's like a disease.

Edge, Hardyz, HHH and Jericho and only some of what's left of what it was these days.

We haven't seen that in a long time because of the booking committee and the creative board, not because Orton said get rid of them! Orton doesn't dictate what happens in the company... HHH does! He's third in rank in the whole company!

Orton is a phenomenal wrestler! Just because the attitude era no longer exists, you can't sh*t on everything that now does! Just because "The Age of Orton" doesn't make you mark out like the attitude era, it doesn't mean that it is sh*t!

Orton is extremely talented and has an exceptionally bright future.

Of course Orton doesn't decide the script, but I associate his arrival (as well as Brock Lesner and other crappy wrestlers) with the decline of my interest in the WWF because it just hasn't been the same. Instead of TLC matches we have Orton VS Cena or Orton VS Cena VS HHH or something to do with Edge. Bow-ring. Same old fluff.

Also, what the hell is up with the ECW these days? There's no point in it existing! The Hardcore champion used to be an awesome title for your favourite wrestler to have because all the matches were hardcore, but now? Just regular matches. A real shame especially after all that ECDub has done for Hardcore.

WWE shifted their stance in the wrestling world as they felt that they needed freshening up.

If you look at the sifting era you are refering to, at the same time, HBK returned, The Rock left, the duff nWo angle happened, Kurt Angle started to suffer real neck problems, Austin started to really fall out with Vince and HHH moved full-time onto the booking committee.

Aside from HBK returning, there's the reasons for it turning major crappo.

ECW is rubbish now because WWE want it to be. Vince is determined to make people associate ECW with rubbish. The massive shift in love and adoration in the wrestling world to ECW after the release of the ECW DVD ("The Rise and Fall of ECW") and the success of ECW: One Night Stand made Vince nervous about the love for ECW so set out the destroy the memory of it.

The decrease in Hardcore matches had to happen. Wrestling is tough enough as it is, working 4 nights a week, never mind putting your body through getting hit with chairs, put through tables, et al. It is just not viable.

You obviously didn't watch ECW during its glory days ('95 to '97ish). ECW did glorify, brutal brawls but they also exeled at showing ace pure wrestling, with Benoit, Guerrero, Malenko, Too Cold Scorpio, Ron Simmons, RVD, etc. They also brought Lucha Libre to America with Rey Mysterio Jr, Psycosis, etc.

The decrease in Hardcore matches had to happen. Wrestling is tough enough as it is, working 4 nights a week, never mind putting your body through getting hit with chairs, put through tables, et al. It is just not viable.

That's because of the increased pusification of the Wrestlers today. they used to be able to, but now they can't? Blame Orton :P