Wrestling!

JAStewart

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ I can't sit silent after a statement like that!

JBL is, right now, one of the best characters and performers I have ever seen. Sure, he wasn't ready when they put the belt on him a few years back, but he progressed quickly. I still rate him as the best color commentator bar none from his time on SD, and since he carried that level of mic work over into his new run, its gold.

Watch his street fight with Finlay from last years WM - hardcore defined.

On the point of Finaly, his match with Burchill on this weeks ECW was another classic. Personally I like the new ECW. Less talk, less emphasis on angles, and more match time. Im also a fan of the slow burn booking style. Decent angles should play out over a few years, not weeks. Watching Punk/Morrison progress last summer was an excellent example of what wrestling TV should be.

There is still plenty of gimmicky "hardcore" to be seen - Angle/Jarret from last months PPV, and this weeks Angle/Styles tables match on this weeks Impact were both stellar, and lets not forget that Hardy/Edge was riddled with tables and ladders too.

If anything, tables, ladders, chairs and other gimmicks used to be special because they were used only once or twice a year, now they are so common you don't even bat en eye.

However, like everything, its all down to personal taste. I found much of the "attitude era" pretty boring. The undercards were ok, but the main events were almost all street fights or some other stupid gimmick because the main eventers were limited in one way or the other.

Now, I'm back to watching RAW live again, and anything that's good enough to keep you awake till 4 am on a work night has to be good :)

Anyways, here's some early Orton just for you JAS :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ApsPunbgk6o&NR=1

JBL is a fantasti colour commentator, but in-ring he still sucks. Massively. He's lazy, his positioning is sloppy, his punches are either out-right real (which is dangerous and unprofessional !watch ECW ONS 2005!) and weak and sloppy. He is also very unfit, (although give him his due, he is currently getting fitter, and currently is in his best physical shape ever.)

A Pussification of the wrestlers, JAS? Get a grip man. Orton has done more juice jobs in his time than The Rock ever did already! Orton is a superb worker with great talent in the ring. He is convincing and believable.

JAS, your ideas about pro-wrestling are very warped. I respect your opinions, but do question you understanding of how things happens and why.

Royal Rumble '02 was very good, especially the period involving HHH versus Austin. (Hurricane Helms' entry was hilarious and fantastic!)

Also, Christian is now officially a WWE wrestler again! Yahoo!

Rock didn't need to bleed.. he bled charisma. I do not feel that Orton has the same feel about him at all. It's like he's trying to but failing miserably.

2002 was an unusual Royal Rumble - it was very disjointed and non-flowing. I thought that it was good though, a nice change from, say, the 2004 Rumble where there was often upwards of 5-7.

Interesting to see Rock and Austin still being mentioned, but that does illustrate how people suddenly "click".

Were you big fans of Rocky Maivia when he debuted? Or Stunning Steve Austin back in ECW before the now legendary "Flair for the Gold" segments?

To me the equivolent place Orton is at right now is when Rocky was in the NOD, and Austin had just shaken the ringmaster gimmick, only Orton has a depth of character neither of those could even come close to, not to mention the raw in ring ability, to make him a much longer-term top level guy.

NWO is looking good. Plenty of gimmicks there for WWE style "hardcore" fans, two chamber matches and a Shane McMahon bump-fest :D

Two elimination chambers? That's interesting and very rare to have two such huge events at one PPV. I guess that Royal Rumbles are hard acts to follow.

Who do we think will win the HBK match? I assume HBK. Also, the Orton match does have potential 'cause Shane rocks.

Interesting to see Rock and Austin still being mentioned, but that does illustrate how people suddenly "click".

Were you big fans of Rocky Maivia when he debuted? Or Stunning Steve Austin back in ECW before the now legendary "Flair for the Gold" segments?

To me the equivolent place Orton is at right now is when Rocky was in the NOD, and Austin had just shaken the ringmaster gimmick, only Orton has a depth of character neither of those could even come close to, not to mention the raw in ring ability, to make him a much longer-term top level guy.

NWO is looking good. Plenty of gimmicks there for WWE style "hardcore" fans, two chamber matches and a Shane McMahon bump-fest :D

I wasn't a fan of the Rocky Maivia gimmick, but I was a fan of Stunning Steve in ECW, but not in WCW.

I agree, if they keep Orton on the right track, he could be the next Ric Flair, seriously.

Who is Shane McMahon fighting @ NWO?

Sorry, for the double post! I pressed "Submit" by accident too soon! :oops:

Two elimination chambers? That's interesting and very rare to have two such huge events at one PPV.

They did this at last years NWO as well.

Question: In the Orton/ Shane match, who is the face, and who is the heel?

Shane v Orton should be Orton. Orton can carry a good match and Shane can provide mucho high spots. Remind yourselves of Kurt Angle v Shane MMcMahon @ KOTR 2001. Great Match.