Depends on what size of tunnel you want, if you can afford it and want something more permanent, i would always go for a good quality glasshouse.

You really need shelter for a polytunnel, or excavate the ground away by as much as possible before setting the tunnel down.

Big poly tunnels are an eyesore, but you do get a longer growing season, and can grow almost anything, especially in summer.

Best look for commercial standard tunnels, these will last much longer.

I don't think it matters what poly tunnel you get, the plastic covers generaly blow away anyhoo. you want one with a good frame tho that's well anchored because I have seen some where it managed to rip out the (concreted in) frames from the ground too, and they didn't look that flimsy in the first place...

If your polytunnel is well sheltered you can use them all year round . Summer for veg , Winter for cuttings and herbs. Some polytunnels can be stripped for winter but I keep mine on. They are worth every penny go for it! All are different I went for a First Tunnel as you can design your own on line. They also have storm fittings and crop bars etc which all add for stability.

If you can be bothered it is probably best to remove the plastic cover before winter and put it back on in the spring, that is what my in-laws did when they had a polytunnel but it is extra work and you need fine weather and a few people around for taking off/replacing the cover.

you can get replacement covers for £70 if you shop around

(probs for the smaller tunnels tho)

for that price you could replace it every year if needs be...you'd be getting more than £70 worth of veg out of it if you're doing it right anyhoo :D

that said there's a PT near sellaness that's been up for years, I canna mind it blowing away...and it's not exactly sheltered!

You will also have to look into planning permission. Siting depends on if in a garden area or a field(commercial or domestic), size and how near a road , there may be other factors in different situations to consider as well.The planning people were very helpful to me and as I did not need planning after a drawing of site and size of polytunnel was given to them they sent me a letter confirming this. I am refering to the large tunnels ,small tunnels I am not sure about

To get one that lasts up here you need to be very fussy what you buy.

Look around at whats on offer. Highland polytunnels are really good & will answer all your questions about any of their models.

The plastic makes a huge difference too, its available in a huge choice of grades & its important you make the right choice.

As suggested before, netting over the tunnel and staking the netting down helps a lot over the winter & it also helps to provide some subtle shade during the summer which will help you with humidity.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...