Anyone have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)?

Boegal

Hi, just wondering how many of us in Shetland have this debilitating condition? :(

Are you using a SAD light and does it help your symptoms?

Am considering getting a SAD light, but as they are very expensive, could do with some recommendations.

Thanks.

SAD not confined to Shetland. Had some experience these last two years and bought a light for about £80. I think it helped but I just made sure I got out for a walk in daylight each day, and that seemed to fix. I know the Shetland weather does not lend itslelf to walks every day, so I would encourage you to get a light, and use it when walking is not an option. Good luck.

Not suffered with SAD but have suffered with depression which seems very similar.

CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) can work absolute wonders though don't know if it's accessible in Shetland, can't see why it wouldn't be.

Also I know many people try to avoid taking medication but I've found Citalopram a great help.

Best bet is to talk to your GP and see what they advise, also don't be scared to seek a second opinion from another GP to get a more balanced view.

Yeh, I've battled against it for about 12 years.

Lightboxes are the main form or treatment, and whilst they're not a one shot cure, especially as far North as Shetland, but they're certainly effective enough to make it worthwhile to use one.

As a general rule the more powerful the better, and they're most effective within the first hour you're awake.

I bought this one last year, which I use all day in the office, and it's a really good size for sitting unobtrusively on my desk, and not blinding my co-workers too much:

http://www.lumie.com/shop/products/Brightspark

I've also had some relief from using a daylight alarm clock, which helps correct your circadian rhythms by simulating a dawn, and are a big help in dragging yourself out of bed on dark winter mornings. There are some of those on the Lumie site as well.

They also offer you a 30 day trial period, so you can try it, and if it doesn't work for you, send it back.

Finally, some form of daily exercise works absolute wonders. I started mountain biking to work last year rather than driving, kept it up all winter, and I've been 95% symptom free all winter, certainly in terms of lack of energy and general mood I've felt awesome all year.

I hope this helps.

I have a daylight alarm clock as well (forgot to mention it in last post - nappy brain at the moment). Used it every morning up until I started maternity leave. It was such a gentle, excellent way to wake up in the morning (and helps you go to sleep at night too, as it dims slowly).

I think you used to be able to borrow the light boxes from the NHS.

• 2 weeks later...

How texting could help the seasonally depressed

In a project about to be piloted in Cornwall, it is hoped a simple alert by text - or e-mail or voice message - could help.

In this three-month trial 200 volunteers who have been assessed by a psychological therapist, are being given a portable light box and some self-help information.

SAD is not triggered by short days, so much as gloomy conditions. So on a sunny day in mid-winter someone with SAD may not feel as bad as they do during a heavily overcast day in March. But the condition can be eased by exposure to a light box which emits an intense brightness.

Under the pilot project, alerts are sent to participants before gloomy days warning them to spend 20 minutes in front of their light box, and to read the accompanying advice that day.

This should help them to prepare for the dark weather and know what to expect when they draw the curtains.